No need for pit stops in this race.
Jon Ausbury’s three-person team captured the 10th annual Toilet Bowl Challenge — think large tricycles with toilets for seats — in Maple Park, Ill., on Saturday. And if the racing vehicles look familiar, well, there’s a reason.
“They’ve been passed down through the generations,” racer Madeline Bogathy told the Kane County Chronicle, tongue in cheek.
- Expect traffic delays when Obama arrives in Seattle Friday afternoon
- US airman who thwarted French train attack stabbed in brawl
- Huskies upset USC 17-12 and beat Steve Sarkisian, their former coach
- Even in death, 'Up' house owner Edith Macefield remains a mystery
- Lloyd McClendon’s status is at the top of the new Mariners GM’s list
Most Read Stories
• At Fark.com: “Cyclists hospitalized after confusing laundry detergent for sports drink / Doctors confirm all urine tests came back clean.”
• At TheOnion.com: “RGIII refusing to let realistic assessment of his play get to him.”
The 49ers’ new Levi’s Stadium hosted a wedding over the weekend.
In keeping with the local football theme, well-wishers threw Jerry Rice.
And the “something new” was another fresh layer of sod.
Avon calling — the pitches
The Royals’ Salvador Perez has taken to using women’s perfume to mask the odor of his sweat-soaked catcher’s gear. So what do plate umpires think about it?
“One of them said I smell like a girl,” Perez told Fox Sports Kansas City. “That’s OK. Most of them like it, too.”
Low center of gravity
A glitch in the Madden 15 Ultimate Team has turned Browns rookie linebacker Chris Kirksey into a 1-foot-2 Tennessee Titan.
On the plus side, though, he’s practically automatic when it comes to making stops on third-and-short.
Hairline, we assume
Caroline Wozniacki lost a point at the U.S. Open when her ponytail got caught in her racquet.
“She won the match,” noted RJ Currie of SportsDeke.com, “but may have suffered a tress fracture.”
Unhappy Returns Dept.
Joe Pisarcik lives!
Holy Cross, leading Albany 13-7 with roughly a minute to play, ran the ball on third down while queueing up for a clinching field goal — resulting in a jarring tackle, a fumble, a 79-yard TD runback and a shocking defeat.
• Steve Schrader of the Detroit Free Press, after the Tigers gave Derek Jeter two seats from demolished Tiger Stadium as a retirement gift: “And they better not show up on eBay.”
• Comedy writer Alex Kaseberg, after surf legend Laird Hamilton saved a fellow surfer from drowning: “Hamilton was immediately offered a spot on the USC football team.”
• Greg Cote of the Miami Herald, after Will Power won an IndyCar race: “Who was second? Dee Termination?”
• Scott Ostler of the San Francisco Chronicle, on the hometown team’s NFL-leading 10 arrests since 2012: “Isn’t the 49ers’ defense over the criminal cap?”
The Houston Astros fired manager Bo Porter on Labor Day.
Evidently it just wasn’t working.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or email@example.com