Germany’s World Cup trophy somehow got a piece chipped off during the title celebration.
Conspiracy theorists immediately claimed that Luis Suarez bit it.
• At TheOnion.com: “Texans confident they have right pieces in place to make deep preseason run.”
- Win over USC puts UW’s coaching upgrade (Chris Petersen over Steve Sarkisian) on full display
- Lloyd McClendon will not return as Mariners' manager
- Expect traffic delays when Obama visits Seattle Friday afternoon
- Huskies upset USC 17-12 and beat Steve Sarkisian, their former coach
- Obama visits Seattle for fundraisers; traffic not as bad as expected
Most Read Stories
• At SportsPickle.com: “Dolphins re-sign Richie Incognito to help them haze rookies.”
This one’s foul
Philadelphia pitcher Cliff Lee got lit up by the Giants on Monday night, then ended the postgame interview at his locker with some loud flatulence.
Looks like the Phillies could really use a good stopper.
Grab a No. 2 pencil
Sports quiz, from Steve Schrader of the Detroit Free Press: “What voluptuous cover model did Justin Verlander vacation with in Mexico during the All-Star break?
“a) Kate Upton
“b) Brooklyn Decker
“c) Bar Refaeli
“d) Prince Fielder”
Just for kicks
Angels outfielder Mike Trout broke out some fish-themed cleats for this year’s All-Star Game.
So where were Greg Holland’s wooden shoes?
She’s the one
Pam Oliver said she felt blindsided when Fox announced that Erin Andrews would replace her as the sideline reporter on its top NFL broadcast crew.
“We have about 314 million Americans,” noted Brad Dickson of the Omaha (Neb.) World-Herald. “I’m pretty sure the other 313,999,999 saw this one coming.”
Checking the promotional calendar, Saturday’s Mariners-Orioles game in Seattle is being billed as Reusable Grocery Bag Day.
In other words, they’ll be hitting for the recycle.
• Realtor Steve Ekovich, to HBO, on the 1,000-plus golf courses that have gone belly-up in the U.S. over the past eight years: “There’s people that had this idea that build it and they will come. They didn’t come.”
• Lakers star Kobe Bryant, to AP, on why he and Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman immediately hit it off: “He’s a psycho like me.”
• RJ Currie of SportsDeke.com, not impressed that Pau Gasol signed with Chicago: “He’ll just be another Spaniard running with the Bulls.”
• Brad Rock of Salt Lake City’s Deseret News, on the waitresses at Shooters Grill in Rifle, Colo., wearing loaded six-shooters as part of their get-up: “It might not be the best place for Drew Brees to leave a $3 tip.”
Squirmin’ on the mound
Fans at a baseball game in Taiwan got quite an eyeful when a woman slated to throw the ceremonial pregame pitch performed a striptease first.
Fortunately, security intervened before she could climb up the foul pole.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or firstname.lastname@example.org