Chill the umpire! A high-school baseball ump — obviously under the influence, witnesses say — passed out during a game in Stark...
Chill the umpire!
A high-school baseball ump — obviously under the influence, witnesses say — passed out during a game in Stark County, Ill., and then attacked first responders who came to his aid and was tased twice by police, WQAD-TV reported.
The umpiring situation, in short: loaded, with one out and two strikes.
- How ISIS methodically groomed a lonely young Wash. state woman
- Despite struggles on and off field, ex-Skyline star QB Jake Heaps still chasing his dream
- Navy stealthily targets Hood Canal development
- Lake City residents fight to regain use of now-private beach
- 1,000 flee homes as wildfire quickly spreads in Wenatchee
Most Read Stories
• At SportsPickle.com: “Brian Urlacher retires as a Green Bay Packer: ‘I just wanted to go out a winner.’ “
• At TheOnion.com: “Pete Carroll thankful NFL didn’t catch rest of Seahawks using PEDs.”
Error on the play
Here’s what you get when you cross a broken bat with Memorial Day: a poor choice of words.
Said Mets broadcaster Keith Hernandez, after the Yankees’ Phil Hughes sawed off Daniel Murphy’s bat during Monday’s game: “That is a dead soldier right there, folks, laying on that infield dirt.”
A broadcast spokesman said Hernandez would get a talking-to.
From Greg Cote of The Miami Herald: “The Marlins, who have lost nine games by shutout and are 0-12 at home with the roof closed, signed a reliever with perfect surname for a team at the bottom of the standings: Duane Below.”
“(Tim) Tebow is a player who rises to the occasion and delivers big in critical moments,” actor Chuck Norris wrote on NewsBusters.org. “He reminds me of myself when I used to compete in martial arts.”
In other words, Chuck likes Tebow’s quarterbacking chops.
• New Timberwolves president Flip Saunders, to the St. Paul Pioneer Press, when asked if any of his players are untouchable: “That’s kind of a stupid question because Wilt Chamberlain, Oscar Robertson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar got traded.”
• RJ Currie of SportsDeke.com, on recent findings that tragedy makes one think about sex: “So there is a bright side to being a Toronto Maple Leafs fan.”
• CBS’s David Letterman, on the $590 million Powerball prize: “That’s the biggest single jackpot since well, since Tiger Woods’ divorce.”
• NBC’s Jimmy Fallon, on the Yankees partially fronting an expansion MLS team: “You can tell it’s owned by the Yankees because A-Rod won’t be playing for that team either.”
Sophomore safety Josh Harvey-Clemons has been suspended for Georgia’s season opener after he got caught smoking marijuana in his campus dorm room.
So much for those Keep Off The Grass signs.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or firstname.lastname@example.org