Western Washington was projected to repeat as Great Northwest Athletic Conference regular-season champions in women’s soccer, receiving six first-place votes and 62 points in a poll of the conference’s coaches.
Seattle Pacific was picked second, collecting the two remaining first-place tallies.
• Tacoma native Tejay van Garderen of BMC Racing retained the yellow jersey and his 20-second lead over Rafal Majka of Tinkoff-Saxo after Stage 4 at the USA Pro Challenge cycling race Thursday in Colorado Springs, Colo. Italian racer Elia Viviani used a powerful surge near the finish to capture the stage.
- 2 killed, half-million lose power in Seattle-area windstorm
- High winds stall firefighting efforts, fuel Tunk Block, Lime Belt fires
- Jack Zduriencik’s M’s legacy: More than 3 dozen departed managers, coaches, scouts, staffers
- Suspect in attack on tourists arrested in downtown Seattle
- Steven Hauschka's 60-yard FG gives Seahawks final edge over Chargers
Most Read Stories
• Northwest University beat Montana Western and lost to Great Falls to open its volleyball season in a tournament in Spokane.
• Northwest (1-1-0) lost 3-1 to Biola in Santa Barbara, Calif.
From sports-information and wire reports.