Washington defensive end Pio Vatuvei, a former blue-chip recruit, was dismissed from the team Tuesday for an unspecified violation of team rules, UW coach Steve Sarkisian announced.
Vatuvei, who originally committed to USC before ultimately signing with UW, appeared in nine games as a true freshman last season, recording seven tackles.
“We hold our student-athletes to a high standard on and off the field, and our players are made aware of that from the moment we begin recruiting them,” Sarkisian said in a statement. “The University of Washington is about the team, and is bigger than one individual player. Pio had numerous opportunities to display behavior consistent with the values of our program, and unfortunately he fell short.”
Also Tuesday, UW got a verbal commitment from Coeur D’Alene offensive lineman Matt James, multiple recruiting services reported. Scout.com rates James as a three-star recruit. He is UW’s eighth known commitment for the Class of 2014.
- Black Sabbath calls it a night at the Tacoma Dome — for good
- Seahawks star Marshawn Lynch's tweet during Super Bowl appears to announce retirement
- Costco delays credit-card switch
- Seahawks' Marshawn Lynch announces retirement in his own, unique fashion
- Police question man in bizarre Bellevue hit-and-run incident
Most Read Stories
Adam Jude: 206-464-2364 or firstname.lastname@example.org