Washington defensive end Pio Vatuvei, a former blue-chip recruit, was dismissed from the team Tuesday for an unspecified violation of team rules, UW coach Steve Sarkisian announced.
Vatuvei, who originally committed to USC before ultimately signing with UW, appeared in nine games as a true freshman last season, recording seven tackles.
“We hold our student-athletes to a high standard on and off the field, and our players are made aware of that from the moment we begin recruiting them,” Sarkisian said in a statement. “The University of Washington is about the team, and is bigger than one individual player. Pio had numerous opportunities to display behavior consistent with the values of our program, and unfortunately he fell short.”
Also Tuesday, UW got a verbal commitment from Coeur D’Alene offensive lineman Matt James, multiple recruiting services reported. Scout.com rates James as a three-star recruit. He is UW’s eighth known commitment for the Class of 2014.
- Purple Heart plant bed vandalized days before Memorial Day
- Seattle’s vanishing black community
- Boeing tankers will be delivered to Air Force late — and incomplete
- Bellevue School District seeks to fire football coach Goncharoff over scandal
- A six-pack of observations from Seahawks' OTAs: Justin Britt, Alex Collins, Tharold Simon and more
Most Read Stories
Adam Jude: 206-464-2364 or firstname.lastname@example.org