Washington defensive end Pio Vatuvei, a former blue-chip recruit, was dismissed from the team Tuesday for an unspecified violation of team rules, UW coach Steve Sarkisian announced.
Vatuvei, who originally committed to USC before ultimately signing with UW, appeared in nine games as a true freshman last season, recording seven tackles.
“We hold our student-athletes to a high standard on and off the field, and our players are made aware of that from the moment we begin recruiting them,” Sarkisian said in a statement. “The University of Washington is about the team, and is bigger than one individual player. Pio had numerous opportunities to display behavior consistent with the values of our program, and unfortunately he fell short.”
Also Tuesday, UW got a verbal commitment from Coeur D’Alene offensive lineman Matt James, multiple recruiting services reported. Scout.com rates James as a three-star recruit. He is UW’s eighth known commitment for the Class of 2014.
- With death on table, McEnroe jury's friendships crumbled
- To retire at 55 takes big savings
- Salary cap expert Joel Corry with another look at Russell Wilson's contract
- Microsoft employees -- past and present -- look back over the years
- Supersonic business jet heads for UW testing
Most Read Stories
Adam Jude: 206-464-2364 or firstname.lastname@example.org