Wide receiver Dante Pettis of Junipero Serra Catholic High (San Juan Capistrano, Calif.) announced Thursday on Twitter that he intends to sign a letter of intent with Washington.
Pettis, listed at 6 feet 1, 170 pounds, is rated as a three-star recruit. He is a standout in track and field, running the 200 meters in 21.84 seconds and posting a mark of 23 feet, 7 inches in the long jump last year.
He is a cousin of former Boise State standout receiver Austin Pettis and the son of Texas Rangers third-base coach Gary Pettis.
Pettis is the seventh known recruit this week to commit to UW and the 16th overall in this class. Verbal commitments are nonbinding. National signing day is Feb. 5.
- 2 people killed in Seattle-area windstorm identified
- Richard Sherman asks for Tyler Lockett-Mario Kart mashup, the internet answers
- High winds stall firefighting efforts, fuel Tunk Block, Lime Belt fires
- Chargers players upset with Frank Clark
- Steven Hauschka's 60-yard FG gives Seahawks final edge over Chargers
Most Read Stories
• Guard Richard Woodworth scored 28 points as GNAC-leading Western Washington (12-4, 6-2) scored a 99-94 win over Central, overcoming a 43-point explosion by the Wildcats’ Mark McLaughlin. Central is 8-8, 4-4.
• Center Sarah Hill hit the go-ahead basket with 1:10 left, lifting Western Washington to a 76-70 triumph over Alaska Anchorage in Bellingham, the 25th consecutive home victory for the Vikings (10-6, 6-2).
• Forward Katie Benson racked up 16 points and 14 rebounds as Seattle Pacific (12-4, 5-3) beat Western Oregon in GNAC play, 72-56.
With contributions from sports-information reports.