Washington men’s basketball coach Lorenzo Romar has announced that junior guard Hikeem Stewart of Rainier Beach High will transfer from the school.
“Hikeem is a great young man that I’ve enjoyed coaching and being around as much as any player that’s played for the Huskies, ” said Romar. “We hate to see him leave, but I am fully supportive of his decision, and will sincerely support him in whatever direction he goes.”
Stewart, who played in 38 career games for the Huskies, has been given a full release and can start looking for a new school immediately. He has career averages of 0.6 points, 0.6 rebounds and 6.3 minutes.
- As USS Ranger departs, Navy's cost dilemma takes off
- Seahawks courting a pair of cornerbacks as free agency looms
- UW tops new list of best western universities
- Seattle's micro-housing boom offers an affordable alternative
- Live updates from the state boys basketball tournament
Most Read Stories
• Washington freshman Kelsey Plum, a high school All-American, was named Pac-12 freshman of the week. She is averaging 22.3 points in the Huskies’ three games.
Jazmine Davis, the team’s second-leading scorer (19.0 per game), was also honored Monday. She was one of six Pac-12 players named to the Naismith Award’s early watch top 50 list.
• The Seattle University volleyball team rallied past Utah Valley, 3-2 (25-21, 22-25, 23-25, 25-16, 15-13), in the first round of the WAC tournament in Phoenix. SU (13-19) faces No. 2 seed Bakersfield on Tuesday.
• Washington State’s Kyra Holt was picked Pac-12 Volleyball Freshman of the Week.
• Everett Silvertips forward Josh Winquist is the WHL Player of the Week.
• Seattle Pacific’s Laura Moore and Shayla Page received All-West Region women’s soccer NCAA Division II district honors along with Western’s Brianna Jones, Kristin Maris and Catherine Miles and Central’s Danielle Brandli.
• Katie Benson of SPU has been chosen GNAC women’s basketball Player of the Week.
From sports-information reports.