The Washington women’s soccer team scored three goals in the first half and earned a 4-1 season-opening victory over Kentucky at Husky Soccer Field on Friday.
Amanda Perez had a goal and an assist for the Huskies, who also got goals from Jaclyn Softli, Becca Schoales and Kimberly Keever.
Arin Gilliland scored for the Wildcats.
- As USS Ranger departs, Navy's cost dilemma takes off
- Seahawks courting a pair of cornerbacks as free agency looms
- UW tops new list of best western universities
- Seattle's micro-housing boom offers an affordable alternative
- Live updates from the state boys basketball tournament
Most Read Stories
• Natasha Howe scored in the 96th minute as Seattle University earned a 2-1 home women’s soccer victory over Idaho.
Howe was able to break through, on a cross by Julia Moravec for the winner.
Stephanie Verdoia scored the Redhawks’ first goal on a penalty kick.
• Washington State blanked visiting Texas Christian 3-0 in the season-opening women’s soccer match. The Cougars got goals from Kailiana Johnson, Mesa Owsley and Jocelyn Jeffers.
• Tejay van Garderen, a Tacoma native, of BMC Racing held his 20-second lead over Rafal Majka of Tinkoff-Saxo after a 104-mile ride from Woodland Park into Breckenridge, Colo.
Trek Factory rider Laurent Didier of Luxembourg won Stage 5 Friday with a burst into Breckenridge. He held off Janier Acevedo of Garmin-Sharp and Rob Britton of Team SmartStop.
Van Garderen is favored to win Saturday’s time trial on Vail Pass before the weeklong competition ends in downtown Denver on Sunday.
• Northwest University fell in volleyball matches to Frontier Conference teams Montana State Northern (3-2) and Montana Western (3-0) at the Sports Travel Northwest Invitational in Spokane.
From sports-information reports.