Washington’s volleyball team made its season debut with a 25-19, 25-15, 25-16 defeat of Portland State on Friday night in Boise, Idaho. Six Huskies made their collegiate debuts.
Eastern Washington completed an epic comeback by defeating North Carolina State 16-25, 16-25, 26-24, 27-25, 15-11 in Wilmington, N.C.
After dropping the first two sets and facing match point late in the third set, the Eagles (2-0) reeled off the final five points of the frame.
- Seattle fifth-graders will get their camp trip, but teachers refuse to go
- Designed in Seattle, this $1 cup could save millions of babies
- Five things to watch as Seahawks begin OTAs Monday
- Ivar’s looks to sell, lease back two venerable restaurant sites
- What the national media are saying about Robinson Cano and the Mariners' hot start to the season
Most Read Stories
Eastern once again found itself trailing 23-19 in the fourth set before winning 27-25.
NC State led 10-5 in the fifth set before Eastern roared back to win 15-11.
• After losing the season opener to host New Mexico 25-18, 25-19, 25-15, Seattle University recovered and swept UTEP 28-26, 25-23, 25-17 at the Lobo Classic.
• Washington State lost its season-opening match to Wyoming 25-20, 29-27, 25-23 at the Montana Invitational in Missoula. Sophomore Kyra Holt led the Cougars with 12 kills and contributed eight digs.
Fourth-ranked Washington beat host Gonzaga 4-0. Darwin Jones scored on two penalty kicks.
• Jeff Rose scored two goals as Seattle University beat Furman 2-1 to open the season. SU plays host College of Charleston on Sunday.
Eastern Washington (2-1) beat host Idaho 4-0. Savannah Hoekstra, Ua Ruedy and Paige Gallaway scored goals.
From sports-information reports.