The Washington freshman crew's run at the Henley Royal Regatta continued Friday with a win over Harvard in the Temple Cup quarterfinals...
The Washington freshman crew’s run at the Henley Royal Regatta continued Friday with a win over Harvard in the Temple Cup quarterfinals in Henley-on-Thames, England.
The Huskies covered the 2,112-meter River Thames course in 7 minutes, 11 seconds, the fastest of the morning for any of the crews competing in the quarterfinals.
It marked the third time this season the Huskies have finished ahead of Harvard, with the two programs also racing in the IRA semifinal and Grand Final.
Washington’s prize for beating Harvard is facing another Crimson boat in the semis. The Crimson lightweights defeated Durham University (U.K.) to set up a Saturday-morning showdown with the Huskies.
- School board rebukes Bellevue football program; possible two-year ban for coach Butch Goncharoff
- This drone footage of inside Bertha’s tunnel is like something out of ‘Star Wars’
- Mayor, Chris Hansen denounce misogynistic comments over council arena vote
- How the Seahawks got two first-round picks in the NFL draft
- Five veteran Seahawks whose roles could be most impacted by additions from the NFL draft
Most Read Stories
• University of Washington golfer Chris Williams was one of two members from the U.S. team to earn a victory in singles matches and help the Americans extend their lead to 10-6 in the 2012 Palmer Cup, played at The Royal County Down Golf Club in Newcastle, Northern Ireland.
Williams was the first to finish on the course, posting a 3-and-2 win over Europe’s Graeme Robertson. Williams improved to 5-0-2 in two years of competing at the Palmer Cup and is 7-1-2 in international competition over the last two years.
• Washington State first baseman Taylor Ard and outfielder Derek Jones were named to the 2012 All-West Region Team.
• The Sounders U-23 squad (7-2-3) rolled to a 5-0 victory over the North Sound SeaWolves (4-8) in a USL Premier Development League game in Edmonds.
Compiled from sports-information reports and other sources.