Husky sophomore Krista Vansant picked up the biggest honor in her college career, as she was named a second-team All-American by the American...
Husky sophomore Krista Vansant picked up the biggest honor in her college career, as she was named a second-team All-American by the American Volleyball Coaches Association.
The awards will be presented Dec. 14 in Louisville, Ky.
This is Vansant’s first career All-America honor. She also earned All-Pac-12 and All-Region honors.
Vansant was Washington’s top offensive force this season as well as a key defender who played every rotation, rarely stepping off the court. The Redlands, Calif., native ranked among the top outside hitters in the Pac-12 all season, averaging 4.64 points per set (with 3.99 kills each set) while improving her attack percentage (.264), blocks average (0.77) and digs average (2.33) over her freshman-year totals. She led the team in kills in 25 matches.
- To retire at 55 takes big savings
- 2 young boys suffer 'significant' injuries in explosion in Enumclaw
- FBI, police investigating Seattle officer in violent 2010 incident
- B-boys to Balkan, the Northwest Folklife Festival is under way
- Jon Ryan going for title of NFL's most 'Ninja'-like punter
Most Read Stories
• Seattle Thunderbirds defenseman Shea Theodore and Everett Silvertips defenseman Mirco Mueller were among 14 players from the WHL selected to play in the CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game in Halifax, Nova Scotia, on Jan. 16.
Theodore will play for Team Orr coached by Mike McPhee. Mueller will play for Team Cherry, coached by Don Cherry.
Mueller is currently in his native Switzerland preparing for the World Junior Championships, where he will play with the Swiss National Junior Team from Dec. 27 to Jan. 5 in Ufa, Russia.
• The Pac-12 Networks announced the TV schedule for the softball season, and the Huskies will be seen live six times, four at home and twice on the road.
The first opportunity to watch the Huskies on TV will be March 25 at 3 p.m. in Arizona.
Compiled from sports-information reports
and other sources.