Junior outside hitter Krista Vansant was named Pac-12 player of the year and Washington coach Jim McLaughlin was chosen Pac-12 coach of the year as the conference announced its 2013 volleyball honor roll Tuesday.
Junior outside hitter Kaleigh Nelson was one of 14 players named to the All-Pac-12 roster. Senior libero Jenna Orlandini and sophomore middle blocker Lianna Sybeldon were among 14 honorable mentions.
“It’s a big honor,” Vansant, a two-time All-Pac-12 selection, said after Tuesday’s practice. “I was telling my teammates I was happy for it, but I have eyes on something else right now: the team winning as much as we can the next six games.”
The Huskies, 26-2, are the No. 3 seed in the NCAA tournament that begins Friday. Washington faces unseeded Alabama State in a first-round match Friday at 7 p.m.
- On his birthday, Russell Wilson gives Seattle Seahawks perhaps his greatest game to beat Pittsburgh Steelers
- Update: Seahawks' Jimmy Graham suffers right knee injury vs. Steelers, will miss rest of season
- Suspected burglar dies after getting stuck in chimney
- Seattle Seahawks’ swagger, hopes for playoffs are back after they slam door on Pittsburgh Steelers
- Grading the game: Seattle Seahawks’ offense earns perfect mark against Pittsburgh Steelers
Most Read Stories
• Washington senior defender Taylor Peay has been named one of 15 semifinalists for the MAC Hermann Trophy, awarded to the top college soccer player. Three finalists will be announced Dec. 12 with the winner named Jan. 10.
• Joshua Winquist scored two goals, but the Everett Silvertips were doubled up by visiting Portland, 6-3, in a Western Hockey League game. Portland jumped to a 5-1 lead before Winquist and Ivan Nikolishin scored.
Team reports contributed