Junior outside hitter Krista Vansant was named Pac-12 player of the year and Washington coach Jim McLaughlin was chosen Pac-12 coach of the year as the conference announced its 2013 volleyball honor roll Tuesday.
Junior outside hitter Kaleigh Nelson was one of 14 players named to the All-Pac-12 roster. Senior libero Jenna Orlandini and sophomore middle blocker Lianna Sybeldon were among 14 honorable mentions.
“It’s a big honor,” Vansant, a two-time All-Pac-12 selection, said after Tuesday’s practice. “I was telling my teammates I was happy for it, but I have eyes on something else right now: the team winning as much as we can the next six games.”
The Huskies, 26-2, are the No. 3 seed in the NCAA tournament that begins Friday. Washington faces unseeded Alabama State in a first-round match Friday at 7 p.m.
- Death of Evergreen player, other injuries renew football-safety debate
- Our state’s greatest gift to the nation just got canceled
- Clay Matthews tells Colin Kaepernick: ‘You ain’t Russell Wilson, bro’
- Seahawks Game Center: Seattle holds off Detroit Lions for 'Monday Night Football' victory
- Watch: Former Mariners great Ichiro Suzuki pitches — yes, pitches — for the Marlins
Most Read Stories
• Washington senior defender Taylor Peay has been named one of 15 semifinalists for the MAC Hermann Trophy, awarded to the top college soccer player. Three finalists will be announced Dec. 12 with the winner named Jan. 10.
• Joshua Winquist scored two goals, but the Everett Silvertips were doubled up by visiting Portland, 6-3, in a Western Hockey League game. Portland jumped to a 5-1 lead before Winquist and Ivan Nikolishin scored.
Team reports contributed