The sixth-ranked Washington volleyball team swept No. 16 Arizona State 25-21, 25-22, 25-16 on Sunday at Alaska Airlines Arena to improve to 13-1 on the year and 5-1 in Pac-12 play.
Senior Kylin Muñoz had 11 kills, all in the final two sets, to lead the Huskies, while Krista Vansant and Kaleigh Nelson each added 10 kills and senior Jenna Orlandini had 21 digs.
ASU (13-5, 2-4) made waves earlier this season with a sweep of defending NCAA champion Texas.
“Games and matches are defined by two or three plays,” UW coach Jim McLaughlin said. “The play I’m going to remember is we’re in a dogfight and Krista hits a serve that the bottom drops out of and we score. And then she does it again. I’m going to remember those two good serves at crunch time.”
- TCU QB Trevone Boykin among Seahawks' undrafted free agent signings
- Oregon QB Vernon Adams to attend Seahawks rookie mini-camp on a tryout basis
- Seahawks bolster key areas of need on Day 3 of NFL draft
- Bellevue High principal leaves school amid scrutiny of football program
Most Read Stories
NCAA Division I lacrosse returned to Seattle for a second year as Pac-12 women’s teams USC and Oregon held a scrimmage at Issaquah High School before 1,196 fans. No score was kept.
Seattle University (3-8-2, 2-0-1 WAC) battled preseason WAC favorite Bakersfield (3-6-2, 1-1-1 WAC) to a double overtime draw, 2-2. Miguel Gonzalez scored the two goals for the Redhawks.
• Clark Phillips scored two goals but host Gonzaga (6-2-3, 1-0-3 West Coast Conference) settled for a 3-3 tie vs. San Diego.
Washington (6-6-2, 2-1-2 Pac-12) suffered its first conference defeat, falling in overtime to Colorado (11-3-0, 3-2-0), 1-0.
• Katie Taylor’s goal in the 104th minute provided visiting Utah (7-2-5, 3-1-1) a 4-3 Pac-12 Conference victory over Washington State (9-2-3, 2-2-2). Jocelyn Jeffers, Susie White and Nicole Setterlund scored for the Cougars.
• Gonzaga (5-6-1, 1-1-0 WCC) beat host Loyola Marymount 3-1 behind goals from Heather Johnson, Karley Baggerly and Emily Eckmann.
• Arizona (13-5, 3-3 Pac-12) beat host Washington State 25-23, 22-25, 23-25, 25-17, 15-12. Kyra Holt had 21 kills and 18 digs for the Cougars (15-4, 2-4).
• Brad Baker of Eatonville captured the national championship in AMA Pro Flat Track motorcycle racing by winning the main event in Pomona, Calif. Wyatt Maguire of Mead won the Pro Singles title.
• The Seattle University women’s golf team finished 12th at the Wyoming Cowgirl Desert Intercollegiate in Palm Desert, Calif.
From sports-information reports.