The Washington men’s tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision to seventh-seeded Oregon on Wednesday afternoon in the first round of the Pac-12 Championships in Ojai, Calif.
The Huskies wrap up the season with an 11-13 record and a 2-5 mark in Pac-12 play.
“I was pretty confident going into the match, playing Oregon again after having just faced them,” said coach Matt Anger. “ We made a lot of progress this year but we did not play nearly as sharp today as we have been which was obviously costly.”
The teams, who split their two meetings earlier this season, had a tightly fought doubles battle with Oregon winning 8-4 on court three and UW’s Emmett Egger and Jeff Hawke, ranked 78th nationally, taking an 8-5 victory on court one to move their season total to 9-7 at number one doubles. Oregon went on to take the doubles point with an 8-5 win on court two over Viktor Farkas and Max Manthou.
- The latest on Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor's holdout
- Seattle restaurant manager killed hiking in Alaska
- Haggen sues Albertsons for $1 billion over big grocery deal
- Report gives Seattle drivers worst marks yet; Bellevue isn't far behind
- Seahawks trade Kevin Norwood, make other moves to get roster to 75
Most Read Stories
“I think the real difference for us today is that I think we had a real opportunity in doubles and we didn’t get it,” added Anger. “We had a bunch of opportunities to get back in those matches and we didn’t capitalize.”
The final two matches of the day each went to three sets for the second straight match, with Oregon eventually winning on court three over Gal Hakak. The Ducks’ Daan Maasland won the first set 6-3, but Hakak picked up a 6-3 win in set two to even things up heading into the third set, where Maasland went on to win 6-3 and end the match.
• Washington State has added Eastern Washington to its 2018 football schedule. The game is scheduled for Sept. 15, 2018 at Martin Stadium.
The Cougars and Eagles previously announced that the teams would meet Sept. 3, 2016 in Pullman.
Washington State has won all three previous meetings in the series, including a 24-20 victory in 2012 in Pullman.
From sports-information reports.