Washington guard Jazmine Davis was one of 30 players selected to the John R. Wooden preseason top 30 list.
The Husky junior is one of five Pac-12 players on the list of the nation’s best players.
The Wooden Award List is comprised of 30 student-athletes who, based on last year’s individual performance and team records, are the early front-runners for college basketball’s most prestigious honor. The list is chosen by a preseason poll of national college women’s basketball media members.
Davis is coming off a sensational season where she earned All-Pac-12 honors, leading the Huskies to a 21-win season and the second round of the WNIT. Davis was second in the Pac-12 in scoring at 19.3 points per game.
- 2 killed, thousands lose power in Seattle-area windstorm
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik
- Now comes the hard part for the Mariners: Hiring Jack Zduriencik’s replacement
- Wet weekend ahead, with high winds and heavy rain expected
- Jack Zduriencik’s M’s legacy: More than 3 dozen departed managers, coaches, scouts, staffers
Most Read Stories
Washington opens the season on Halloween night with an exhibition game vs. Concordia (Ore.) at 7 p.m. at Alaska Airlines Arena.
• The NCAA recognized Pacific Lutheran alum Kaaren Hatlen as one of nine finalists for the NCAA Woman of the Year award. Hatlen, who graduated last spring, is the first Pacific Lutheran student-athlete to reach the top-nine finalist status for the award, which honors female student-athletes in academic achievement, athletics, community service and leadership.
• The men’s tennis team from Seattle, representing the USTA Pacific Northwest Section, finished second at the USTA League 4.5 National Championships in Tucson, Ariz. The Seattle team lost to Ridgeland, Miss., 3-2 in the championship match. The team is captained by Bruce Gullikson and Sean Kangrga and features Andy Pelz, John Gallelli, Corey Cheng, Kyle Stalker, Abe Chang, Joe Brooks, Sanh Pham, Leo Garcia, Patrick Boorkman, Jared Brodin, Max Mehren, Matt Richter and John Chau.
From sports-information reports.