BROOKLINE, Mass. — Golfers Charlie Hughes of Washington and Sean Walsh of Gonzaga shot 1-over 71 at Charles River Country Club on Monday and are tied for 37th place after the first round of the U.S. Amateur Championship.
UW’s Cheng-Tsung Pan is at 2-over, tied for 58th.
Three other Huskies are in the tournament. Gerrit Chambers and Jonathan Sanders shot 6-over 76 and are tied for 179th, and Trevor Simsby was 7-over and tied for 205th.
The field of 312 will be cut to the low 64 after Tuesday’s second round of stroke play. Match play begins Wednesday and continues through Saturday.
- Power restored after major, hour-long outage in downtown Seattle
- Trump, Clinton win Washington state primary
- Designed in Seattle, this $1 cup could save millions of babies
- Boeing plans hundreds of layoffs in local IT unit
- Walkoff magic! Leonys Martin’s dramatic homer in ninth lifts Mariners
Most Read Stories
Kirkland wins again
Alex Hanger and Tori Bivins each went 3 for 4 as the host Kirkland team scored all its runs in the sixth and seventh innings to beat The Philippines 10-0, improving to 2-0 in the Junior League Softball World Series at Everest Park.
In other games, Tampa, Fla., beat Canfield, Ohio, 17-2; Cumberland County, N.J., beat Columbus, Texas, 8-4; and Emilia, Italy, beat Gilroy, Calif., 2-1.
The tournament for girls ages 12 to 14 ends Saturday.
Lia Galdeira’s 16 points helped Washington State’s women’s team defeat Levice, Slovakia, 69-34, in the opener of a four-game tour of Slovakia, Austria and Czech Republic.
Washington is fifth in the first national coaches poll of the season, the best preseason ranking for the Huskies since 2009.
• Seattle University is the coaches’ preseason pick to win the Western Athletic Conference women’s title. Idaho and Utah Valley tied for second. The Redhawks’ Stephanie Verdoia and Julia Besagno were the preseason offensive and defensive players of the year, respectively.
• Erin Redwine resigned as after seven seasons as women’s coach at Northwest University of Kirkland to spend more time with her family. Men’s assistant coach Vallan Seid was named interim coach.
From sports-information reports.