Washington suffered through its third consecutive defeat as UCLA pitcher James Kaprielian shut down the Huskies on just four hits in eight innings as the visiting Bruins delivered a 3-0 victory Friday night.
The Huskies haven’t scored in 28 innings, the longest drought in 114 years. Kaprielian, (7-6, 2.29 ERA) struck out 11 and walked just two in his eight innings for the Bruins (24-29-1, 11-17 Pac-12).
Brian Wolfe had two hits for UW (38-14, 20-8).
- For UW, an Apple Cup victory that doubled as a breakthrough
- The story of one homeless girl, Brittany, who was failed time and again
- India draws tech dreamers back home
- Bill Gates to commit billions for clean energy
- Holiday and Independence Bowls are potential destinations for UW and WSU
Most Read Stories
• Loyola Marymount (39-16) knocked Gonzaga out of the West Coast Conference baseball tournament with a 7-4 victory late Friday. Earlier, Payden Cawley Lamb delivered a bases-loaded single in the four-run sixth inning as the Bulldogs (26-28) eliminated Santa Clara (26-30) with an 8-6 victory in Stockton, Calif.
• Six runs in the eighth pushed visiting Arizona State (32-21, 18-10 Pac-12) to a 12-8 win over Washington State (23-29, 13-15).
• Gonzaga announced that USC guard Byron Wesley is joining the basketball program as a transfer. Wesley, a 6-foot-5 senior-to-be, will be eligible next season. He led USC with 17.8 points last season.
• Washington’s Andrew Andrews and Washington State’s DaVonte Lacy will be part of the Pac-12 all-star basketball team that will tour China this summer.
• Western Washington’s Katelyn Steen placed fourth (10:20.66) in the women’s 3,000-meter steeplechase at the NCAA Division II track meet in Allendale, Mich.
• McKayla Fricker of Seattle Pacific posted the best 800 preliminary time (2:07.52) at the NCAA Division II track championships.
• Ryan Villopoto of Poulsbo, who has won four indoor and two outdoor motocross championships, has decided to have surgery on his left knee, knocking him out of the upcoming outdoor season.
From sports-information reports.