The Washington baseball team closed out its opening weekend of Pac-12 play with a 3-0 loss at No. 11 UCLA on Sunday. For UCLA (15-3, 3-0...
LOS ANGELES — The Washington baseball team closed out its opening weekend of Pac-12 play with a 3-0 loss at No. 11 UCLA on Sunday.
For UCLA (15-3, 3-0), left-hander Grant Watson (3-0) gave up four hits over six innings and relievers Ryan Deeter, Zack Weiss and David Berg closed it out for a seven-hit shutout. Berg pitched the final four outs for his fifth save.
For the Huskies (4-14, 0-3), Trevor Mitsui, Andrew Ely and Austin Rei each had two hits.
- Death of Evergreen player, other injuries renew football-safety debate
- Our state’s greatest gift to the nation just got canceled
- Clay Matthews tells Colin Kaepernick: ‘You ain’t Russell Wilson, bro’
- Seahawks Game Center: Seattle holds off Detroit Lions for 'Monday Night Football' victory
- Watch: Former Mariners great Ichiro Suzuki pitches — yes, pitches — for the Marlins
Most Read Stories
• Thanks to strong pitching and aggressive baserunning, Seattle University (8-12) earned a 3-2 decision over UC Davis at Bannerwood Park in Bellevue.
• Jason Monda was 3 for 4 and drove in three runs as Washington State (11-7, 2-1 Pac-12) earned an 11-8 victory over No. 14 Arizona State (11-4-1, 1-2). The Cougars won a series at Arizona State for the first time in school history.
• Gonzaga (11-6-1, 2-1 WCC) dropped its series finale 9-3 to visiting San Francisco, but won the weekend series 2-1.
It was a close game through six innings but the Dons (8-11, 1-2) distanced themselves with seven runs in the last three frames.
Washington junior pitcher Bryana Walker had a perfect game until the fifth and a no-hitter until the sixth, and came out with a 6-4 victory over Pacific (15-15) in the final game of the Judi Garman Classic in Fullerton, Calif.
The Huskies concluded nonconference play with a 22-7 record.
Walker (12-3) allowed four runs on six hits in six innings. Junior Kaitlin Inglesby picked up her first save of the season pitching the seventh inning.
Victoria Hayward, Inglesby, Kylee Lahners and Kimberlee Souza had two hits each for the Huskies.
• Seattle University (11-17) lost 2-0 to Loyola Marymount (16-13) and 6-3 to host Cal State Northridge (13-18).
• Visiting Washington State captured the opening doubles point then held on in singles play for a 4-3 victory over No. 55 Oregon (10-3, 0-2 Pac-12). The No. 65 Cougars (11-4, 1-2) snapped a three-match skid.
• Poulsbo’s Ryan Villopoto won his sixth 450SX Class Main Event of the season at the AMA Supercross on Saturday night at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. Villopoto earned the 30th win of his career.
Compiled from sports-information reports and other sources.