Sophomore receiver Curtis Shaw left the Washington team Monday for personal reasons. "The opportunity will be here for him to return once...
Sophomore receiver Curtis Shaw left the Washington team Monday for personal reasons.
“The opportunity will be here for him to return once his family issues have been resolved,” Willingham said in a statement as the news was made public after his regular meeting with the media. “For the time being, that needs to be his focus.”
A school spokesman, however, said it was not expected that Shaw would return any time soon and could miss the season.
The departure further depletes an already inexperienced receiver position.
- Seattle company copes with backlash on $70,000 minimum wage
- More pet-food recalls linked to potential salmonella contamination
- Seahawks sign four-year extension with linebacker Bobby Wagner worth a reported $43 million
- Impressions from Day Three of Seahawks' training camp --- Christine Michael, the center position, Tyler Lockett, and more
- After signing $43 million contract, Bobby Wagner admits he didn’t expect Seattle to draft him
Most Read Stories
Shaw was one of just two returning scholarship receivers to have played in a game for the Huskies, making five catches for 47 yards last season.
Shaw, from Stockton, Calif., played in all 13 games as a true freshman last season, serving as a tailback, wide receiver and kickoff returner for the Huskies.
Shaw was one of seven true freshmen to play last season, initially coming to Washington as a running back before switching to receiver at midseason. He had four receptions for 46 yards against Oregon State late in the season. He was regarded as one of the fastest players on the team, running a 10.54-second 100 meters as a high-school senior.
His departure means the only UW receiver with any playing experience is sophomore D’Andre Goodwin, who had six catches for 29 yards last season. The Huskies will otherwise depend on true or redshirt freshmen at the spot, or walk-ons, as they attempt to replace five seniors from last year’s squad.
Shaw participated in UW’s practice before informing coaches of his decision Monday afternoon.