UW women’s basketball coach Mike Neighbors announced point guard Kelli Kingma headlines three players who signed national letters of intent on Wednesday. Kingma, a star at Jackson High, is the younger sister of Kristi, who graduated as a two-time All-Pac-12 player and set a conference record with 11 three-pointers against Oregon as a senior.
“We would have recruited Kelli Kingma if she were living in upstate Maine and had never heard the name Kristi Kingma,” Neighbors said. Kelli Kingma gave a verbal commitment before the coach was hired in April.
“The fact that she is from the area and has deep roots as a Husky only makes it that much better,” Neighbors continued. “Her game is also ideal for our team. She can play multiple positions on the perimeter because she can shoot it, drive it and guard a variety of spots. She will be ready to impact our program from day one. While there will be inevitable comparisons to her sister, we have no doubt that Kelli will carve out her own niche.”
Joining Kingma in Neighbors’ first recruiting class are center Macy Keen and forward Hannah Johnson. Keen is a transfer from Miami who intended to enroll at Washington this season but didn’t academically qualify. She’s playing for Seminole State College and will earn an associate degree to be eligible to transfer and play beginning in the 2014-15 season.
- Rolled semi spills 14 million bees on I-5 near Lynnwood
- Man's journey to find birth mom ends — at work
- 14 million spilled bees on I-5: 'Everybody's been stung'
- Shawn Kemp to co-host party celebrating Thunder missing playoffs
- Rolled semi spills load of bees at I-5 and I-405 interchange
Most Read Stories
Johnson is a standout at Bishop Alemany High School in Los Angeles.
• Washington State coach June Daugherty announced the signings of guards Ashley Bolston (Medford, Ore.), Caila Hailey (Inglewood, Calif.), Pinelopi Pavlopoulou (Athens, Greece) and forward Nike McClure (Tenino).
• Seattle U signed center Jacinta Beckley of New Zealand.
• Gonzaga coach Kelly Graves announced the signing of guard Lexi Bando of Willamette High in Oregon and forward Jill Barta of Fairfield High in Montana.
• Gonzaga coach Mark Few signed Silas Melson, a 6-2, 170-pounder out of Jefferson High in Portland; 6-3, 186-pound Josh Perkins from Huntington Prep in West Virginia by way of Regis High in Denver, and Bryan Alberts, a 6-5, 200-pound combo guard from Northridge, Calif., who attends Valley Christian High.
• Guard Will Ferris, who guided Newport High School in Bellevue to a sixth-place state finish a year ago, has signed a letter of intent to attend Eastern Washington.
• The Eastern Washington women’s basketball team signed forward Mariah Cunningham (Spokane) and guards Delaney Hodgins (Pasco) and Kiana Brown (Triangle Lake, Ore.).