Havana McElvaine scored in the 55th minute as Washington earned a 1-0 victory over Utah in a Pac-12 women’s soccer match Friday night at Husky Soccer Stadium.
The Huskies (6-5-2, 2-0-2 Pac-12) stayed unbeaten in conference play. Utah fell to 6-6-1, 2-1-1.
Lindsey Luke, who leads the nation in goals-against average and save percentage, made eight saves for the Utes, four in each half. However, the Huskies got the winner almost 10 minutes into the second half from McElvaine. Off a cleared corner, the freshman defender scored her first collegiate goal when she hit a rocket from 35 yards out.
- Beloved Mama's Mexican Kitchen in Belltown to close
- Washington officer shoots men accused of earlier beer theft
- To retire at 55 takes big savings
- Queen Anne apartments -- at half the usual cost
- Bing no longer a search-engine blip
Most Read Stories
Josh Dean threw for five touchdowns as host Willamette routed the Whitworth Pirates 50-21 at McCulloch Stadium in Salem, Ore.
Dean was 22 for 28 for 331 yards and no interceptions, throwing three touchdowns to Derek
Traeger, who had 11 receptions for 171 yards.
Michael McCune threw two touchdowns for the Pirates (2-4, 0-2 Northwest Conference)
The 25th-ranked Bearcats (4-0, 2-0) jumped to a 36-0 lead.
Other women’s soccer
• Stephanie Verdoia had two goals as visiting Seattle University (9-2-2, 6-0-0 WAC) crushed Grand Canyon (2-10-1, 1-5-1) 5-0 for its seventh consecutive victory. The Redhawks also recorded their sixth straight shutout, thanks to goalkeeper Brianna Smallidge, this week’s WAC Defensive Player of the Week.
• Sophomore Cara Wegner scored two goals and Washington State knocked off visiting Colorado, 3-0 in a Pac-12 match.
Wegner scored the winner in the fourth minute and notched her second in the 52nd minute to record the first two-goal match of her career.
The Cougars (9-1-3, 2-1-1) also got a goal from senior Micaela
Castain, her team-leading 11th of the season, in the 58th minute.
• Gonzaga fell 1-0 at Pepperdine. It’s the sixth time in the last seven years that a match between the Bulldogs and Waves has been decided by just one goal, and the fourth straight 1-0 decision. Pepperdine (6-3-3, 1-0 West Coast Conference) has bested Gonzaga (4-6-1, 0-1) the last three years.
• Katie Cashman scored in the 67th minute, but Northern Colorado (6-4-3, 2-1-1) got two late goals for a 2-1 victory over Eastern Washington (3-11, 1-4) in a Big Sky match in Greeley, Colo.
• Jonathan Massimino scored in the 109th minute as Seattle University earned a 2-1 overtime victory against UNLV (3-7, 1-1) to stay undefeated in the WAC. Ian Hines-Ike also scored for the Redhawks (3-8-1, 2-0).
• Gonzaga utilized goals from forwards Jakob Granlund and Conner Bevans to race past visiting Loyola Marymount for a 2-1 victory at Gonzaga Soccer Field. The Bulldogs improved to 6-2-2 overall and 1-0-2 in the WCC.
• Washington State (15-3, 2-3 Pac-12) knocked off No. 16 Arizona State (13-4, 2-3) before 1,100 fans at Bohler Gym in Pullman.
The 25-23, 23-25, 25-22, 17-25, 15-9 win was the first over a ranked opponent for third-year Cougars coach Jen Greeny’s program. The last time a Cougars volleyball team defeated a ranked opponent was Oct. 23, 2009, when WSU defeated No. 4 Washington in Bohler Gym.
• Seattle University (7-14, 4-2 WAC) defeated Idaho (10-8, 3-3) 25-12, 25-21, 18-25, 25-20 in a WAC match at Connolly Center..
• College of Idaho swept past host Northwest University 3-0 (25-21, 25-10, 25-15) in a Cascade Conference match.
From sports-information reports.