The third-ranked Washington softball team scored 16 runs in the first three innings and went on to rout San Jose State 18-1 Friday at the Littlewood Classic in Tempe, Ariz.
Earlier in the day, the Huskies beat Illinois State 9-1.
The Huskies (7-0) had seven players post at least one run batted in in the win over San Jose State (6-1), and six Huskies had multihit games. Victoria Hayward, Kylee Lahners and Ali Aguilar each had three hits.
Bryana Walker (3-0) tossed five innings of one-run ball, allowing just two hits while striking out four.
- Narcotics dog hospitalized after ingesting meth
- It's no easy task, but contract extension for Seahawks QB Russell Wilson will get done
- Newcomers arriving in record numbers, but from where?
- Toppled fish truck makes a stinker of a commute Tuesday night
- Amazon devouring quarter of Seattle's best office space
Most Read Stories
Against Illinois State (1-4), Kaitlin Inglesby (3-0) went the distance for her 58th career complete game.
Lahners blasted a two-run homer in the first inning. The Huskies broke the game open with a six-run third inning. Hayward, Hooch Fagaly and Inglesby each hit singles. Whitney Jones hit a two-run double and Aguilar hit a two-run single to give the Huskies an 8-1 lead.
Air Force scored five runs in the eighth inning, aided by a dropped foul ball with two outs, to break open a tie game and hand Washington a 14-9 loss in the season opener for both teams at the Texas State Tournament in San Marcos.
Robert Pehl batted 3 for 5 with a home run, a double and three RBI for the Huskies, who had 11 hits.
Trevor Dunlap took the loss. Air Force reliever Nathan Stanford shut the Huskies down over the final 22
3 innings to earn the win.
Connor Moore pitched seven scoreless innings as Seattle University opened the season with a 2-1 victory over host UC Davis.
Moore gave up just three hits and a walk and struck out six.
Seattle U got its first run in the sixth inning on Michael McCann’s sacrifice fly. In the seventh, Cullen Hendrickson hit a run-scoring double.
Garrett Anderson set the Aggies down in order in the eighth inning for the Redhawks. Will Dennis gave up a run in the ninth but still earned the save.
• Host Cal State Fullerton, ranked No. 1 in some preseason polls, beat Washington State 12-0 to open the season.
The Titans chased Cougars starter Scott Simon after two innings by scoring six times. Meanwhile, Thomas Eshelman was dominant on the mound for the Titans, tying his career high with eight strikeouts in seven shutout innings. He limited the Cougars to three hits.
• With two outs in the bottom of the eighth inning, Jeff Hendrix singled home two runs as second-ranked Oregon State rallied past Gonzaga 4-3 in the season opener in Tempe, Ariz.
Seattle University (1-8) suffered two losses at the Easton Desert Classic in Las Vegas — 8-1 to top-ranked Florida (7-0) and 9-8 to Hawaii (5-3).
Bubba Morrow led the Redhawks with three runs and three hits. Lisa Maulden had three hits and three RBI.
Host Northwest University beat Concordia 62-60. Domi Mendezona scored 14 points for the Eagles (17-10, 9-6 Cascade Collegiate) and Chanara Greene added 12 points and nine rebounds.
Adam Herman scored 25 points as Concordia (20-6, 9-5 CCC) beat host Northwest U 74-57. Northwest U (17-9, 8-7) was led by Michael Greene’s 20 points and eight rebounds.
Washington stayed perfect at the Nordstrom Tennis Center this season with a 6-1 victory over San Diego State. The Huskies (6-1) will host St. Mary’s on Sunday.
• Maria Biryukova rallied from a set down to pull out a three-set win and lift host Washington State (9-1) to a 5-2 victory over Fresno State.
From sports-information reports.