Fresno State starting pitcher Kiley Shae Aldridge held No. 6 Washington scoreless while allowing just three hits, and the Bulldogs defeated the Huskies 1-0 at the Judi Garman Classic on Sunday in Fullerton, Calif.
Kasey Stanchek made her third start of the season for the Huskies (19-4). Stanchek (2-1) allowed one run on three hits while striking out three Bulldogs (12-8).
• Second-seeded Seattle Pacific (26-5) will open the NCAA Division II men’s tournament against No. 7 seed Cal State Stanislaus (21-8) at 2:30 p.m. Friday in San Bernardino, Calif.
- Seahawks 39, Steelers 30: What the national media are saying about Russell Wilson and Seattle's turnaround
- Lake Stevens quarterback Jacob Eason gets visit from WSU’s Mike Leach; commitment to Georgia ‘in holding pattern’
- On his birthday, Russell Wilson gives Seattle Seahawks perhaps his greatest game to beat Pittsburgh Steelers
- Girlfriend finds nothing funny about couple’s sense of humor
- WWU police arrest 19-year-old student in racist-threats case
Most Read Stories
• In a rematch of the GNAC women’s title game, GNAC champion Western Washington (19-9) opens the NCAA Division II tournament against Simon Fraser (19-9) at noon Friday in Pomona, Calif.
• Seattle University junior guard Isiah Umipig was voted second team All-WAC as well as to the WAC All-Newcomer team.
Umipig is averaging 19.4 points heading into the WAC tournament in Las Vegas, where the Redhawks (13-16) open at 8:30 p.m. Thursday against New Mexico State (23-9) at Orleans Arena.
• Washington beat host Santa Clara 9-1 in the final game of the Jack Gifford Memorial Tournament to escape California with a perfect 4-0 record over the weekend and extend its winning streak to seven games.
The Huskies (10-4-1) have reeled off their longest winning streak since 11 straight in 2008.
UW starter Jeff Brigham was efficient in working his way through five scoreless innings on a tight pitch count to earn the win over Santa Clara (7-10). He gave up three hits, struck out three and allowed just one runner to reach third base in improving his record to 3-0 and dropping his earned-run average to 1.17.
• Seattle U (6-10) had a chance to pull off a comeback victory over ninth-ranked Cal Poly, but the Mustangs (11-3) made key defensive plays in the late innings for a 2-1 victory at Meridian Park in Shoreline.
• Senior Blake Snyder is tied for fourth and Washington State is also tied for fourth after the opening day of the Bandon Dunes (Ore.) Championship. Snyder finished the first round at 3-under-par 68, one stroke from a tie for first place, which includes Gonzaga senior Peter Gullickson.
The Cougars shot 4-over 288 on the par-71 Pacific Dunes Course. No. 16 Washington shot 9-over 293 and is tied for ninth. UW’s Jonathan Sanders is tied for 11th at 71 and Trevor Simsby is tied for 15th after a 72. Missouri leads at 3-under 281. Gonzaga is tied for 12th at 297.
• Seattle U (10-15) gave up early runs and could not rally, falling to UC Santa Barbara (15-5), 4-2 in Reno, Nev. Later, host Nevada (12-9) scored four runs in the fourth and two in the fifth for a 6-0 win over the Redhawks.
• Visiting Western Washington (10-5, 2-2) suffered a pair of one-run losses, 5-4 and 4-3, at Central Washington (11-4, 4-0) in a GNAC doubleheader.
• The No. 56 Arizona women (11-1, 1-0 Pac-12) earned a 6-1 victory over Washington (10-4, 0-2). The win over the Huskies marks the first for Arizona in Seattle in the last six seasons.
From sports-information reports.