Arizona broke a tie with three runs in the fifth inning and beat Washington 7-4 on Sunday in a matchup of nationally ranked teams.
TUCSON, Ariz. — Arizona broke a tie with three runs in the fifth inning and beat Washington 7-4 on Sunday in a matchup of nationally ranked softball teams.
Washington (23-8, 1-1), ranked 17th, won the Pac-12 series opener Saturday night, 7-2. Game 3 is Monday.
UW freshman Missy Taukeiaho tied the score with a two-run homer in the fourth inning, but Arizona (21-9, 1-1) answered in the fifth with a solo homer by Chelsea Goodacre and a two-run shot by Mandie Perez.
Arizona is ranked 16th in one poll and 22nd in the other.
- ‘Historic’ tuition cut sets state apart from rest of U.S.
- Seattle man charged with vehicular homicide in cyclist’s death
- Nurse dies from injuries in attack near CenturyLink Field
- Seahawks mailbag: Bobby Wagner's contract, Brandon Mebane's future, and more
- As fast-moving wildfire hits Quincy, police say Wenatchee blaze man-made
Most Read Stories
Hooch Fagaly, Kylee Lahners and Victoria Hayward had two hits each for the Huskies.
Jackie Rothenberger’s second homer of the game, a two-run blast in the ninth inning, gave Western Washington (14-12, 6-6) a 7-5 Great Northwest Athletic Conference victory over Western Oregon (17-16, 8-4) in Monmouth, Ore.
• Joe Meggs, Trevor Mitsui and Ryan Wiggins each had three of Washington’s 16 hits in an 8-3 Pac-12 victory over USC at Husky Ballpark. The Huskies (6-16, 2-4) took two of three games from the Trojans (9-15, 2-4). Reliever Zach Wright (1-2) earned the win with three scoreless innings.
• Jason Monda hit a grand slam, Adam Nelubowich had a three-run double and Washington State (14-8) pounded 18 hits in a 20-1 nonleague win over Brown (1-9) in Pullman.
• Seattle U scored six runs in its final two at-bats to rally for a 12-8 Western Athletic Conference win over Louisiana Tech in Ruston, La. Chase Fields, Sean Narby and Grant Newton homered for the Redhawks (9-13, 1-1) against the Bulldogs (10-15, 1-1).
• San Diego (15-8, 4-2 West Coast Conference) beat Gonzaga 10-9 in Spokane despite a 4-for-6 game by Marco Gonzales of the Bulldogs (14-7, 4-2).
• Seattle U swept Southern Utah 7-0 in Las Vegas for the Redhawks’ first men’s victory this season. The Redhawks women lost 5-2 to New Mexico State in San Jose, Calif.
From sports-information reports.