Arizona broke a tie with three runs in the fifth inning and beat Washington 7-4 on Sunday in a matchup of nationally ranked teams.
TUCSON, Ariz. — Arizona broke a tie with three runs in the fifth inning and beat Washington 7-4 on Sunday in a matchup of nationally ranked softball teams.
Washington (23-8, 1-1), ranked 17th, won the Pac-12 series opener Saturday night, 7-2. Game 3 is Monday.
UW freshman Missy Taukeiaho tied the score with a two-run homer in the fourth inning, but Arizona (21-9, 1-1) answered in the fifth with a solo homer by Chelsea Goodacre and a two-run shot by Mandie Perez.
Arizona is ranked 16th in one poll and 22nd in the other.
- Every street can't handle every use, mayor says
- Warren Moon on Marshawn Lynch: "He just doesn't trust a lot of people''
- After ditching Amex, Costco embraces Citi, Visa
- Confidence is key for 24-year-old lawmaker
- UW tops new list of best western universities
Most Read Stories
Hooch Fagaly, Kylee Lahners and Victoria Hayward had two hits each for the Huskies.
Jackie Rothenberger’s second homer of the game, a two-run blast in the ninth inning, gave Western Washington (14-12, 6-6) a 7-5 Great Northwest Athletic Conference victory over Western Oregon (17-16, 8-4) in Monmouth, Ore.
• Joe Meggs, Trevor Mitsui and Ryan Wiggins each had three of Washington’s 16 hits in an 8-3 Pac-12 victory over USC at Husky Ballpark. The Huskies (6-16, 2-4) took two of three games from the Trojans (9-15, 2-4). Reliever Zach Wright (1-2) earned the win with three scoreless innings.
• Jason Monda hit a grand slam, Adam Nelubowich had a three-run double and Washington State (14-8) pounded 18 hits in a 20-1 nonleague win over Brown (1-9) in Pullman.
• Seattle U scored six runs in its final two at-bats to rally for a 12-8 Western Athletic Conference win over Louisiana Tech in Ruston, La. Chase Fields, Sean Narby and Grant Newton homered for the Redhawks (9-13, 1-1) against the Bulldogs (10-15, 1-1).
• San Diego (15-8, 4-2 West Coast Conference) beat Gonzaga 10-9 in Spokane despite a 4-for-6 game by Marco Gonzales of the Bulldogs (14-7, 4-2).
• Seattle U swept Southern Utah 7-0 in Las Vegas for the Redhawks’ first men’s victory this season. The Redhawks women lost 5-2 to New Mexico State in San Jose, Calif.
From sports-information reports.