Nice catch, Dad!
Marty Gregor, who’d driven five hours to watch his son Conrad play for Class A Quad Cities in Davenport, Iowa, last Saturday, wound up catching Conrad’s first home run of the season — barehanded.
“I didn’t know he was going to be out there,” Conrad Gregor told MLB.com. “Then I saw it on video after and I just started laughing, and that was really cool that he caught it. Didn’t need a glove. Pretty good hands from the old man.”
- Kam Chancellor’s forced fumble and K.J. Wright’s illegal batted ball help Seahawks stop Lions
- Evergreen senior’s death, other player injuries renew football-safety debate
- Many homeowners stuck owing more than their houses are worth
- Our state’s greatest gift to the nation just got canceled
Most Read Stories
• At SportsPickle.com: “Heat asks Lance Stephenson to deliver pregame motivational speech before Game 5.”
• At TheOnion.com: “Michael Jordan mulling return to craps table.”
Do As I Say Dept.
The Chicago Cubs have hired loose cannon Manny Ramirez as a player-coach for their Class AAA Iowa farm team.
What, wasn’t Albert Belle available?
Lend me your ears
There’s rumblings that a third political party is about to be organized in Nebraska.
Thus joining the Cornhusker Party and … what’s the other one, again?
Crime doesn’t repay
Police in Panama City, Fla., arrested a man who tried to pay his $400 trespassing fine with counterfeit cash.
Apparently the Andrew Jackson on the bogus $20 bills bore a striking resemblance to Bobby Bowden.
That’s your brawlgame
Benches emptied and three players were ejected after the Rays’ Yunel Escobar pilfered third base against the Red Sox with an 8-3 lead in the seventh inning.
Apparently there’s a fine line between trying to run it up and playing under the must-score system.
The jersey that Jets QB Mark Sanchez wore during his infamous “butt fumble” in 2012 has sold for $820.
$820? Imagine what they could get for Brandon Moore’s pants!
• Washington State football coach Mike Leach, to Reddit.com, on filling out a coaching staff with historical figures: “Head coach: George Washington; offensive coordinator: Geronimo; offensive assistant: Tarzan; defensive coordinator: Winston Churchill; defensive assistant: Daniel Boone.”
• Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun, on why the Oakland A’s would be a great playoff hockey team: “They’re 19-3 when scoring first.”
• Comedy writer Alan Ray, on what the French Open and David Cassidy have in common: “A lot of doubles before noon.”
• Razorbacks baseball coach Dave Van Horn, to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, on returning home from an 11-day road trip: “I figure my dogs will bark at me because they won’t know who I am.”
Can’t bust this Bronc
Broncos pass-catcher Wes Welker says he won’t give back his ill-gotten $14,000 from a Derby Day tote malfunction at Churchill Downs.
Or to put it in football terms: Hey, I’m a receiver, not a return guy.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or firstname.lastname@example.org