Seattle Thunderbirds defenseman Shea Theodore was named a Western Conference first-team all-star by the Western Hockey League on Thursday.
Theodore was the highest scoring defenseman in the WHL this season. He had 79 points on 22 goals and 57 assists. Theodore set the team record for most goals by a defenseman in the team’s last game of the season.
Everett forward Joshua Winquist was a second-team WHL all-star selection.
The T-birds are preparing for a first round best-of-seven playoff series against the Everett Silvertips. Game 1 is Saturday, 7:05 p.m. at ShoWare Center.
- Amazon rolls out free same-day delivery for Prime members
- They were millionaires for 3 months, but Seattle couple didn't know it
- Russell Wilson's agent says in 710 ESPN Seattle interview that contract talks are 'encouraging'
- Crash on I-5 at Boeing Access Road backs up traffic for miles
- Photo shows Chicago cops posing over black man with antlers
Most Read Stories
This will be the first time the T-birds and Silvertips have met in a playoff series since Everett joined the WHL in the 2003-04 season.
• Seattle University women’s soccer has added Scott Newman as a goalkeeper coach. Newman was most recently head coach for the Northwest Nationals.
• Walla Walla University and Multnomah University have submitted formal applications to join the Cascade Collegiate Conference. The applications are scheduled to be acted on at a June 17 meeting and if approved could begin as early as the 2015-16 season. If WWU and MU are approved for membership, it would bring the conference members total to 11. The Cascade Conference currently has 10 member schools in Oregon, Washington and Idaho, but Concordia University has applied for NCAA D-II membership.
Walla Walla is considering adding men’s and women’s golf.
• Western Washington University’s Pee Wee Halsell has been named Great Northwest Athletic Conference men’s indoor track and field Coach of the Year. Halsell directed the Vikings to their second straight conference championship.
From sports-information reports.