As baseball injuries go, this one’s a fall classic.
Shortstop Mattingly Romanin of the Hannibal (Mo.) Cavemen will miss the Prospect League’s final 18 games with a concussion — courtesy of a skydiver delivering the game ball slamming into him as he awaited the national anthem.
“It is unfortunate that it ended my season and I’m a little upset about that,” he told the Quincy (Ill.) Herald-Whig, “but you know what, it’s just a freak accident, and there’s nothing we can do now.
“So I’m still trying to be upbeat, and I’m still laughing with everybody.”
- 2 killed, half-million lose power in Seattle-area windstorm
- High winds stall firefighting efforts, fuel Tunk Block, Lime Belt fires
- Steven Hauschka's 60-yard FG gives Seahawks final edge over Chargers
- Jack Zduriencik’s M’s legacy: More than 3 dozen departed managers, coaches, scouts, staffers
- Offense needs big kick as Seahawks snag 16-15 victory
Most Read Stories
• At SportsPickle.com: “MAC Conference Football Media Day ends after 35 minutes of awkward silence.”
• At TheOnion.com: “Doctors clear RGIII’s knee for light tearing.”
Packers QB Aaron Rodgers, who famously tweeted “I’d put my salary next year on it” when asked if he thought Ryan Braun was drug-free, is now demanding a discount double-check.
It pays to enunciate
Our ears perked up when we heard the news that NFL speedsters Chris Johnson and Devin Hester would be racing a big cheetah.
Alas, turns out they’re merely pitted against the world’s fastest cat — and not Ryan Braun.
Some sales pitch
Kansas football coach Charlie Weis, coming off a 1-11 season, says visiting recruits have a good chance to play right away, telling them, “Have you looked at that pile of crap out there?”
What, “Rock, Chalk, Jayhawk” isn’t catchy enough?
Paging Jim Gray
Reports say LeBron James won’t play for Team USA at the 2014 world championships or the 2016 Olympics.
It’s not considered official, though, until ESPN airs “The Final Decision.”
Talking the talk
• Meterologist Jim Barach of WCHS-TV in Charleston, W.Va., after Joe Torre’s daughter caught a falling baby: “Major League Baseball will issue a statement congratulating her just as soon as she is tested for PEDs.”
• Marlins first baseman Logan Morrison, via Twitter, on PED speculation: “You know we’re clean. We haven’t scored a run in 37 innings.”
• From Fark.com, after Robert Griffin III tweeted that he’d been to practice: “Out of habit, the Yankees’ Brian Cashman told him to shut the bleep up.”
Bad, as in badminton
Two Thai badminton players — and former playing partners — got into a fistfight during a change of ends during the championship match at the Canada Open.
In other words, during the shuttle, one got cold-cocked.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or firstname.lastname@example.org