Mets minor-leaguer Cory Vaughn, playing for the Scottsdale Scorpions in the Arizona Fall League, got bit on the leg by — of course — a scorpion.
But maybe he ought to be counting his blessings.
As Janice Hough of LeftCoastSportsBabe.com pointed out: “Good thing the kid doesn’t play for a team affiliated with the Detroit Tigers.”
- 5 things you should know about Microsoft’s Windows 10
- Mariners’ triple play hadn’t been seen since 1955
- Sister-in-law didn’t appreciate delivery support
- Before getting the ax, Steve Sandmeyer show was scraping by
- 2 killed in drive-by shooting on I-5 in Mount Vernon
Most Read Stories
• At SportsPickle.com: “Jacksonville Jaguars to give growing big beards a try.”
• At Fark.com: “Yankees sign Jeter to the DL for $12 million.”
Losing his bearings
Seattle goalkeeper Michael Gspurning got red-carded in Wednesday’s MLS playoff game against Colorado when he came out to catch a long one-hopper — not realizing he was a full yard out of the 18-yard box.
Which probably explains why his surname begins with G-S-P, not G-P-S.
You make the call
The most memorable umpire’s call in this year’s World Series was:
a) the game-ending obstruction play
b) the game-ending pickoff play
c) the ball getting lost in a player’s beard for a ground-rule double
“Here’s an item from the oddly-appropriate files,” wrote RJ Currie of SportsDeke.com. “Rearrange the letters in Dez Bryant, and you get Rant By Dez.”
From Bruce Penton of the Medicine Hat (Alberta) News: “Tiger Woods can’t be blamed for:
“a) Sluggish television ratings for golf broadcasts
“b) Sluggish sales of Nike sports equipment
“c) Sluggish growth of the game in the U.S.
“d) Slugging Brandel Chamblee”
“Only 96 more days until the start of the Winter Olympics,” Bob Molinaro of the Norfolk Virginian-Pilot reported Saturday. “It’s about time I started reading scouting reports on the world’s best curling teams.”
• Brad Dickson of the Omaha (Neb.) World-Herald, on why Forbes declared Vladimir Putin the world’s most powerful person: “He’s the only world leader with a Super Bowl ring.”
• Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau, to the Chicago Sun-Times, on the location of Derrick Rose’s latest injury: “His body.”
• Len Berman of ThatsSports.com, after the Dolphins beat the Bengals 22-20 on Cameron Wake’s end-zone sack in OT: “A walk-off safety?”
• Wake, to SI.com, on the Dolphins-Bengals game going an extra 6½ minutes: “I don’t know if we could’ve made it one more series. The engine light was on, tire-pressure gauge was going off …”
Friday marks the 100th anniversary of Bowlers Journal magazine.
Any celebration will be so understated, editors say, that you’ll probably hear a pin drop.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or email@example.com