Yankees go home? They’ve certainly gone to the Purdy house.
Kansas resident Casey (Stengel — get it?) Purdy is such a Bronx Bombers fan that he named his three children Jeter, Maris and Yogi. Casey’s brothers? Roger, Andy and Mickey. And the tradition began a generation before that.
Luckily for the Purdys, it’s a long way down the Yankees’ all-time roster to the likes of Stubby Overmire, Snuffy Sternweiss and Pee-Wee Wanninger.
- Pursuit of big-money contract comes at a cost for Seahawks QB Russell Wilson
- Seattle man charged with vehicular homicide in cyclist’s death
- Paying the bill for U.S. Open at Chambers Bay
- ‘Historic’ tuition cut sets state apart from rest of U.S.
- As Puget Sound sweats, few air conditioners are cooling us down
Most Read Stories
• At SportsPickle.com: “Nation eagerly anticipates the release of Johnny Manziel’s 4th of July weekend party photos.”
• At Fark.com: “Once again, WR Josh Gordon forgets that he plays for the Browns, not the Bengals.”
Red Sox TV analyst Jerry Remy lost a tooth in mid-broadcast.
Apparently the baseball season just reached the knockout stage, too.
Call him Kershawdinho
Clayton Kershaw beat the Rockies 9-0 on Friday night, running the Dodger lefty’s streak of consecutive zeroes to 36 innings.
Cross-marketing experts immediately declared him The Official Pitcher of the World Cup.
The greatest American sports dynasty of the 21st Century is:
a) the Spurs
b) the Red Sox
c) Joey Chestnut
Pay of the Week
Bobby Bonilla gets a check for $1,193,248.20 from the Mets every July 1 — and will through 2035.
Bonilla’s average season in five years in New York (1992-95, 1999): .270, 19 homers, 59 RBI.
Time walks on
The Walkman celebrated his 35th birthday last week.
No, silly, Sony’s portable media player — not Ubaldo Jiminez.
• Jake Richards of Vancouver, B.C.’s CKST Radio, after Philadelphia Flyers captain Claude Giroux got arrested for repeatedly grabbing a male police officer’s butt: “Giroux was just taking the law into his own hands.”
• Brad Dickson of the Omaha (Neb.) World-Herald, on Jose Canseco’s Canadian tour: “Obviously America’s revenge on our neighbor to the north for sending us Justin Bieber.”
• Blogger TC Chong, after the Cubs beat the Red Sox 16-9: “Boston doesn’t need hitting, they need Tom Brady.”
• Comedy writer Alex Kaseberg, after Laker star Kobe Bryant looked a bit flabby in some offseason photos: “Apparently Kobe doesn’t like to pass at the dinner table either.”
British Petroleum scientists say there are only 53.3 years’ worth of known oil reserves left on Earth.
Introducing your 2070 Triple Crown: the Derby, the Preakness and the Indy 500.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250