The Phoenix Suns beat the Seattle Sonics 112-110 Friday night in a showdown between the NBA's top two teams.
SEATTLE – Joe Johnson had 24 points and 10 rebounds, and Steve Nash and Shawn Marion each scored 21 as the Phoenix Suns beat the Seattle Sonics 112-110 Friday night in a showdown between the NBA’s top two teams.
Amare Stoudemire added 20 points and nine rebounds for Phoenix, which became the first club to win 20 games this season, but the Suns had to outlast the Sonics in an exciting fourth quarter.
The Sonics (18-5) moved the ball around the perimeter for three decent looks, but Rashard Lewis missed an inside try, and Vladimir Radmanovic missed a 3-pointer during the possession.
Most Read Stories
- Seattle once again nation’s fastest-growing big city; population exceeds 700,000 | FYI Guy
- What drivers can and cannot do under Washington state's new distracted-driving law
- Cause of death of Seahawk Hall of Famer Cortez Kennedy remains unclear as family, friends struggle with his passing
- Four months in, ‘Seattle’s only Trump voter’ has his doubts | Danny Westneat
- Officer hailed for taking down cop killer costs Seattle $165,000 in civil-rights claims
Marion made two free throws, but Ray Allen bounced in a 3-pointer with 4 seconds to play to get Seattle within 109-107. Nash was fouled immediately, hitting both shots to give Phoenix a 111-107 lead.
The Suns needed every point, too, because Lewis took an inbounds pass and hit a 3-pointer with 0.5 seconds on the clock. Marion was fouled and added one free throw to seal the win.
Allen led Seattle with 32 points on 15-of-32 shooting. Lewis scored 25, and Reggie Evans added 13 points and 14 rebounds. Radmanovic scored 14 and Antonio Daniels had 11 for the Sonics.