The Phoenix Suns beat the Seattle Sonics 112-110 Friday night in a showdown between the NBA's top two teams.
SEATTLE – Joe Johnson had 24 points and 10 rebounds, and Steve Nash and Shawn Marion each scored 21 as the Phoenix Suns beat the Seattle Sonics 112-110 Friday night in a showdown between the NBA’s top two teams.
Amare Stoudemire added 20 points and nine rebounds for Phoenix, which became the first club to win 20 games this season, but the Suns had to outlast the Sonics in an exciting fourth quarter.
The Sonics (18-5) moved the ball around the perimeter for three decent looks, but Rashard Lewis missed an inside try, and Vladimir Radmanovic missed a 3-pointer during the possession.
Most Read Stories
- Elizabeth Warren: ‘The next step is single-payer’ health care
- Seattle No. 1 in home-price growth again; starter homes require half of income
- Costco is testing a new burger in Seattle, and it might remind you of Shake Shack
- Zillow vs. McMansion Hell: Seattle company not backing off fight with blog despite PR fiasco
- UW study finds Seattle’s minimum wage is costing jobs
Marion made two free throws, but Ray Allen bounced in a 3-pointer with 4 seconds to play to get Seattle within 109-107. Nash was fouled immediately, hitting both shots to give Phoenix a 111-107 lead.
The Suns needed every point, too, because Lewis took an inbounds pass and hit a 3-pointer with 0.5 seconds on the clock. Marion was fouled and added one free throw to seal the win.
Allen led Seattle with 32 points on 15-of-32 shooting. Lewis scored 25, and Reggie Evans added 13 points and 14 rebounds. Radmanovic scored 14 and Antonio Daniels had 11 for the Sonics.