Sudan's embassy in London says a young athlete has claimed political asylum in Britain and two others are missing - but none of them are part of the country's Olympic squad.
Sudan’s embassy in London says a young athlete has claimed political asylum in Britain and two others are missing – but none of them are part of the country’s Olympic squad.
Spokesman Khalid Mustafa said Monday that men had hoped to qualify for the Olympics but didn’t make the grade.
Mustafa said Al-Nazeer Abdul Gadir has applied for asylum, while Sadam Hussein and Osman Yahya Omar are missing and expected to soon lodge their own claims.
All three had been part of a training squad granted visas to travel to Britain ahead of the Summer Games.
- WSU study: 'Exploding head syndrome' more common than once thought
- Ivar's to raise restaurant workers' wages to $15 right away
- Opening day roster looks pretty clear after Sunday cuts
- A mom's tweet about Oreos in school stirs up culture wars
- 3 places off the beaten track in Hawaii
Most Read Stories
Mustafa said the embassy had received conflicting initial reports about whether the athletes were members of the country’s OIympic team.