Share story

TULSA, Okla. — The Seattle Storm’s mastery the past three years over the Tulsa Shock has seemingly come to an abrupt halt.

After having won 10 games in a row spanning the last three years against its Oklahoma counterpart, the Storm dropped its second contest to Tulsa in the last 15 days by falling to the Shock, 92-70, Saturday night before a crowd of 4,327.

The loss snapped a three-game winning streak for Seattle (4-4) and ended a string of two consecutive wins for the Storm on the road, including a victory at San Antonio on Friday night.

Tianna Hawkins came off the bench to pace Seattle with 17 points. Temeka Johnson added 13 points while reserve Shekinna Stricklen and Alysha Clark chipped in 10 apiece.

This week, save 90% on digital access.

Tulsa (3-7) prevailed 67-58 in Seattle on June 7. But the rematch was not nearly as dramatic.

Seattle never led in the second meeting, scoring just two points in the game’s first five minutes and trailing by 12 early to a Tulsa team that forced 18 turnovers — leading to 20 Shock points — and held Seattle to just 40 percent shooting from the field (25 of 62).

“Tulsa has a good team and was very energized and aggressive tonight,” Seattle head coach Brian Agler said.

“We just didn’t play with much energy. We turned it over a lot. Usually focus and toughness leave when you don’t play with a lot of energy.”

Roneeka Hodges’ 19 points paced six Tulsa players in double-digit scoring. Glory Johnson finished with 14 points to go along with 12 rebounds while Nicole Powell and Skylar Diggins contributed 11 points apiece. Jennifer Lacy and Angel Goodrich each had 10 points.

After falling behind by as many as 12 on two occasions in the first half, the Storm trailed 41-32 at halftime.

But a basket by Johnson and a three-point play by Tina Thompson, her only points of the night, in the opening minute of the second half brought Seattle to within 41-35.

From there, though, it was all Tulsa.

The Shock responded with a 15-4 run to move in front 56-39 midway through the third quarter and Seattle would get no closer than 14 the rest of the way.

Tulsa outscored Seattle by 13 points in the third period to take a 71-49 lead entering the final period. The Shock then led by as many as 25 in the final quarter.

Tulsa hit 50 percent of its field goals, finishing 31 of 62 from the field while nailing 10 of 23 from three-point range (43.5 percent).

“They knocked down some shots but a lot of them were due to our mistakes on defense,” Stricklen said while also echoing her coach about the team’s lack of effort.

“I don’t think we had enough energy, but Tulsa had the energy tonight.”

Stricklen had two of Seattle’s five three-pointers.

Tulsa raced to a 14-2 lead midway through the opening quarter with Powell tallying seven of her nine first-quarter points in the Shock’s fast start.

Seattle closed to within 14-8 on a basket by Tanisha Wright but the Shock ended the period on a 9-4 run to grab a 23-12 lead.

Seattle committed eight turnovers in the opening quarter, leading to nine Tulsa points while the Storm managed to connect on just 35.7 percent of its field goals (5 of 14) and went 0 for 4 from three-point range.

A pair of three-pointers from Johnson and Stricklen and a drive to the basket by Camille Little brought Seattle back to within 25-20 in the opening two minutes of the second quarter.

Tulsa, which won its second consecutive game after defeating Chicago on Thursday, responded with three-pointers from Williams and Hodges in a 7-0 spurt to lead 32-20 with 5:33 remaining.

Custom-curated news highlights, delivered weekday mornings.