Bird, Loyd, Chicago Sky guard Courtney Vandersloot, a former Kentwood High and Gonzaga star, and Indiana Fever guard Briann January from Spokane’s Lewis and Clark High are among the 25 finalists for the U.S. Olympic women’s basketball team.
Seattle Storm stars Sue Bird and Jewell Loyd, the Chicago Sky’s Courtney Vandersloot, a former Kentwood High and Gonzaga Bulldog, and Indiana Fever guard Briann January, a product of Spokane’s Lewis and Clark High, have been named finalists for the U.S. Olympic women’s basketball team, USA Basketball announced Monday.
Bird, 35, is a national team veteran who helped lead her team to gold medals in the 2012, 2008 and 2004 Summer Olympics and at the 2002, 2010 and 2014 FIBA World Championships. This summer’s Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro will likely be Bird’s last Olympic Games.
• Gonzaga senior forward Kyle Wiltjer was one of 20 players named to the Oscar Robertson Trophy Midseason list for outstanding Division I men’s basketball player.
• For the second consecutive week, Washington State’s Borislava Hristova was named the Pac-12 women’s basketball freshman of the week.
Most Read Stories
- Seattle judge won’t immediately release ‘Dreamer’ from detention center
- Officials say damage to sewage plant in Discovery Park is catastrophic
- T-Mobile one-ups Verizon’s new unlimited data plan; 4Q results top forecasts
- Sticker shock as much higher car-tab bills land in mailboxes
- Mexico City is a parched and sinking capital