INDIANAPOLIS – Briann January scored 19 points and Shavonte Zellous added 18 to help the Indiana Fever beat the Chicago Sky 77-70 on Saturday in the opener of the best-of-three Eastern Conference finals.
January is from Spokane.
Indiana took a 60-48 lead into the fourth quarter, but the Sky stormed back with a 14-3 run.
Chicago proceeded to miss its next six shots, allowing Indiana to build separation as Zellous made a pair of three-pointers.
- A couple thoughts on Fred Jackson, Kam Chancellor and the Seahawks
- Haggen sues Albertsons for $1 billion over big grocery deal
- UW, Alaska Airlines agree to naming-rights deal for Husky Stadium's field
- After McKinley, it’s time to consider renaming Rainier
- Huskies’ colors for opener are purple, green
Most Read Stories
Sylvia Fowles led the Sky with 20 points and 14 rebounds.
Chicago will host Game 2 on Monday.
Indiana shot 35 percent overall, but made 43 percent of its three-point attempts (9 of 21).
The Sky shot 43 percent from the field but was a mere 1 for 8 on threes.
“The difference in the game was we got three-point shooting tonight,” said Fever coach Lin Dunn, a former Storm coach.