INDIANAPOLIS – Briann January scored 19 points and Shavonte Zellous added 18 to help the Indiana Fever beat the Chicago Sky 77-70 on Saturday in the opener of the best-of-three Eastern Conference finals.
January is from Spokane.
Indiana took a 60-48 lead into the fourth quarter, but the Sky stormed back with a 14-3 run.
Chicago proceeded to miss its next six shots, allowing Indiana to build separation as Zellous made a pair of three-pointers.
- With death on table, McEnroe jury's friendships crumbled
- Salary cap expert Joel Corry with another look at Russell Wilson's contract
- To retire at 55 takes big savings
- Microsoft employees -- past and present -- look back over the years
- No time to eat in Silicon Valley, so techies chug their protein
Most Read Stories
Sylvia Fowles led the Sky with 20 points and 14 rebounds.
Chicago will host Game 2 on Monday.
Indiana shot 35 percent overall, but made 43 percent of its three-point attempts (9 of 21).
The Sky shot 43 percent from the field but was a mere 1 for 8 on threes.
“The difference in the game was we got three-point shooting tonight,” said Fever coach Lin Dunn, a former Storm coach.