INDIANAPOLIS – Briann January scored 19 points and Shavonte Zellous added 18 to help the Indiana Fever beat the Chicago Sky 77-70 on Saturday in the opener of the best-of-three Eastern Conference finals.
January is from Spokane.
Indiana took a 60-48 lead into the fourth quarter, but the Sky stormed back with a 14-3 run.
Chicago proceeded to miss its next six shots, allowing Indiana to build separation as Zellous made a pair of three-pointers.
- Seahawks agree to contract extension with quarterback Russell Wilson
- Dustin Ackley trade symbolizes continuing dark days of Mariners
- Surviving Seattle’s sidewalks: Pedestrian rage rises as the population grows
- Mariners trade Mark Lowe to the Blue Jays for three minor leaguers
- Seahawks linebacker Bobby Wagner on contract talks: 'Now. That's my deadline'
Most Read Stories
Sylvia Fowles led the Sky with 20 points and 14 rebounds.
Chicago will host Game 2 on Monday.
Indiana shot 35 percent overall, but made 43 percent of its three-point attempts (9 of 21).
The Sky shot 43 percent from the field but was a mere 1 for 8 on threes.
“The difference in the game was we got three-point shooting tonight,” said Fever coach Lin Dunn, a former Storm coach.