ROSEMONT, Ill. — Shavonte Zellous scored 20 points to lead the defending champion Indiana Fever in an 85-72 victory over the Chicago Sky in the opener of their Eastern Conference semifinal series Friday night.
Briann January from Spokane and Karima Christmas had 16 points each, and Erlana Larkins added 12 points and 11 rebounds for the Fever.
Elena Delle Donne scored 20 points to lead Chicago after receiving the league’s Rookie of the Year award before the game. Epiphanny Prince had 19 points and Sylvia Fowles, the Defensive Player of the Year, added 16 points and 10 rebounds. Courtney Vandersloot from Kentwood High School had six points and seven assists.
Game 2 in the best-of-three series is Sunday in Indianapolis.
- Kam Chancellor’s forced fumble and K.J. Wright’s illegal batted ball help Seahawks stop Lions
- Evergreen senior’s death, other player injuries renew football-safety debate
- Many homeowners stuck owing more than their houses are worth
- Our state’s greatest gift to the nation just got canceled
Most Read Stories
• Washington’s Mike Thibault has won the WNBA coach of the year. Thibault edged Seattle’s Brian Agler and Chicago’s Pokey Chatman, AP reported.