Just call him Stan the ATM.
A monthlong online auction of hundreds of Stan Musial items — jerseys, World Series rings, harmonicas and more — brought in a whopping $1.2 million.
The late Musial’s estimated career earnings from 22 big-league seasons with the Cardinals: $980,050.
- Tourists robbed, beaten downtown ‘afraid to go back’ to Seattle
- Animated map: How the wildfires in North Central Washington have grown over time
- Steve Sarkisian was reimbursed by Washington for hefty alcohol bills
- Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor holdout FAQ
- Why did the Mariners’ season go terribly wrong?
Most Read Stories
• At SportsPickle.com: “Jerry Jones: Maybe I shouldn’t have hired the guy whose own son canned him.”
• At TheOnion.com: “Pittsburgh residents horrified to learn Ben Roethlisberger considers city home.”
Which will be higher at year’s end — the Jags and Bucs’ win percentage, or the Congressional approval rating?
Richie Incognito’s best hope of ever playing in the NFL again is:
a) an arbitrator upholding his grievance
b) a team getting desperate enough to sign him
c) President Obama choosing him as this year’s turkey to pardon
Quick question for that Midwest couple who settled their NFL bet with a Taser: Who are you taking in this week’s Charger game?
No Orofino Maniacs?
America’s five most embarrassing high-school mascots, from Cracked.com:
5) Laurel Hill (Fla.) Hoboes
4) Centralia (Ill.) Orphans
3) East (N.Y., Ohio) Orientals
2) McLaughlin (N.D.) Midgets
1) Coachella Valley (Calif.) Arabs
Say this about the Miami Dolphins: If nothing else, they’ve put a whole new spin on “going Incognito.”
• Jack Finarelli of SportsCurmudgeon.com, not surprised that Chiefs WR Dwayne Bowe will play against the Broncos on Sunday: “Marijuana is legal in Colorado. The game will take place in Mile High Stadium.”
• Woodlawn (Ark.) High School coach Zach Branch, to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, after his team rushed for 723 yards and 11 touchdowns in last week’s game: “A lot of people call it caveman football.”
• Times reader Bill Littlejohn, after the Jaguars and Buccaneers both blew their chances of going 0-16: “The 2008 Lions got together and unscrewed some bottles of Thunderbird.”
• Brad Dickson of the Omaha (Neb.) World-Herald, on the World Series of Poker concluding the November elections: “ I think we all know which involved the most bluffing.”
Brian Cashman says Brian Wilson won’t be coming to the Bronx because the free-agent reliever refuses to shave his trademark beard.
Guess he’s never heard of the Yankee clipper.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or firstname.lastname@example.org