VANCOUVER, B.C. — Kenny Miller scored twice and the Vancouver Whitecaps beat the New York Red Bulls 4-1 on Saturday night in the season opener before a sellout crowd of 21,000 at B.C. Place Stadium.
Vancouver gave Carl Robinson a victory in his first game as the team’s coach.
Miller scored in the 34th and 70th minutes. Second-half substitute Pedro Morales added a goal and an assist, and Sebastian Fernandez also scored for the Whitecaps.
- Job cuts planned as Boeing hunkers down to compete with Airbus, consider new plane
- Police: Ohio newborn appears to have died from dog bite
- With Marshawn Lynch retired, what will Seahawks do with money they save?
- Sale of Weyerhaeuser’s Federal Way campus means more intensive development
- Unruly passenger diverts Boston-San Diego flight to Denver
Most Read Stories
Union 1, at Timbers 1
Offseason acquisition Gaston Fernandez scored on a header in the 93rd minute to give Portland a tie. Jack McInerney scored in the 64th minute for Philly.
Real Salt Lake 1, at Galaxy 0
Joao Plata scored in the 80th minute, Nick Rimando stopped Robbie Keane’s penalty kick in stoppage time, and RSL triumphed in Jeff Cassar’s coaching debut.
Crew 3, at D.C. United 0
Federico Higuain scored twice to help Columbus prevail in Gregg Berhalter’s first game as the Crew’s coach. Jairo Arrieta also scored for the Crew.
At FC Dallas 3, Impact 2
Mauro Diaz scored on a free kick and set up a penalty as FC Dallas won in coach Oscar Pareja’s debut. Ex-Sounder Sanna Nyassi scored for Montreal.
At Dynamo 4, Revolution 0
Will Bruin scored twice and added an assist to help Houston rout New England.
• Former Colorado Rapids captain Pablo Mastroeni will take over as the team’s coach.