VANCOUVER, B.C. – Darren Mattocks scored for the fourth time in the last five matches to help the Vancouver Whitecaps beat Sporting Kansas City 2-0 in Major League Soccer on Sunday night.
Vancouver (7-4-11) also took advantage of an own goal by Sporting defender Igor Juliao to hand defending champion Kansas City (11-6-6) its first MLS loss since May 31.
The Whitecaps took the lead in the 17th minute when Juliao and Kansas City goalkeeper Andy Gruenebaum got their signals crossed after Vancouver’s Pedro Morales lofted a long ball toward the goal. Juliao tried to head a pass back toward Gruenebaum, but it dribbled over the goal line.
Mattocks scored in the 39th minute.
- Win over USC puts UW’s coaching upgrade (Chris Petersen over Steve Sarkisian) on full display
- Lloyd McClendon will not return as Mariners' manager
- Expect traffic delays when Obama visits Seattle Friday afternoon
- Huskies upset USC 17-12 and beat Steve Sarkisian, their former coach
- Obama visits Seattle for fundraisers; traffic not as bad as expected
Most Read Stories
Other MLS match
At Fire 1, Red Bulls 0
Mike Magee scored in the 38th minute and Sean Johnson made four saves for his fourth shutout of the season as Chicago defeated New York.
Chicago improved to 4-5-13 and the Red Bulls dropped to 6-7-10.