Tim Cahill scored twice, including a header in the 89th minute, to give the New York Red Bulls a 2-1 victory over Toronto FC on Saturday...
TORONTO — Tim Cahill scored twice, including a header in the 89th minute, to give the New York Red Bulls a 2-1 victory over Toronto FC on Saturday.
Cahill’s tiebreaking goal came off a cross by Thierry Henry and gave New York (4-4-2) its second straight win and third in its past four matches.
Jonathan Osorio had the tying goal for Toronto (1-3-4) in the 83rd minute. Ryan Richter played the ball back to Osorio, who paused to tee up a high shot that sailed over New York goalkeeper Luis Robles and glanced off the cross bar and in the net.
“It’s not a jinx, it’s not a hoax or anything like that, we need personalities to go and clear the ball, and win the ball … strong personalities who want it in the back,” Toronto FC coach Ryan Nelsen said.
- Amazon rolls out free same-day delivery for Prime members
- 'Granny panties' making a comeback as women say no to thongs
- Shopping video undoes woman's case against SPD
- Deputies shoot 17-year-old after car chase in SeaTac
- Old Lusty Lady strip club to get new look as boutique hotel
Most Read Stories
Toronto came in off four straight draws in MLS play, including three in which it gave up a lead in injury time. However, Toronto beat Montreal 2-0 on Wednesday in the Canadian Championship series.
Cahill had given the Red Bulls a 1-0 lead in the 39th minute in a goal also set up by Henry.
• Dominic Oduro, Josh Williams and Federico Higuain scored in the first half to help the Columbus Crew beat visiting D.C. United 3-0 after a scoreboard fire delayed the start 50 minutes.
• Rodney Wallace scored in the 58th minute, lifting the Portland Timbers to a 3-2 victory at Sporting Kansas City.
Ryan Johnson had a goal and an assist for Portland, which extended its unbeaten streak to six matches.
• Cordell Cato scored in the 76th minute to help San Jose erase a second-half deficit as the Earthquakes and host Chivas USA played to a 2-2 tie.
• Mike Magee and Charlie Rugg scored early in the first half to lift the Los Angeles Galaxy to a 2-0 victory at Real Salt Lake.
• Diego Fagundez ended New England’s scoreless streak at 539 minutes and the New England Revolution beat the visiting Philadelphia Union 2-0.
• Andres Romero and Marco Di Vaio scored in the second half, lifting the Montreal Impact to a 2-0 victory at home over the Chicago Fire.
• Kekuta Manneh and Camilo scored three minutes apart to give the host Vancouver Whitecaps a 2-2 tie with MLS-leading FC Dallas.