Sounders midfielder Marco Pappa will miss at least the team’s next two MLS matches while on international duty with Guatemala, which opens play in Copa Centroamericana on Wednesday again El Salvador.
Guatemala is in Group B of the event along with Belize, Honduras and El Salvador, and the top four finishers in the seven-team tournament automatically qualify for the 2015 Gold Cup.
“Of course, it’s always an honor to go to the national team when they think about me,” Pappa said. “You know how important it is to go represent your country no matter what.
“I will also always be thinking about this team (Seattle) and hope they’re doing good.”
- Narcotics dog hospitalized after ingesting meth
- It's no easy task, but contract extension for Seahawks QB Russell Wilson will get done
- 5 Seahawks takeaways from the NFL League Meetings
- Unusual motel sting casts wide net on illicit activity
- Microsoft tells vendors to give contract workers basic benefits
Most Read Stories
The tournament runs through Seattle’s matches against Chivas USA and Real Salt Lake and concludes Sept. 12, four days before the Sounders travel to Philadelphia for the U.S. Open Cup final.
Seattle coach Sigi Schmid was coy about possible replacements in the Sounders midfield after training Monday at Starfire Sports Complex, but both Lamar Neagle and Kenny Cooper have slotted into Pappa’s position in the past.
• Seattle University women’s soccer player Kelly Beck has been named Western Athletic Conference defensive player of the week. This is her first career honor and second straight for the team, as Stephanie Verdoia was named offensive player of the week last week.
• Seattle University men’s soccer’s goalkeeper Shane Haworth has received the first Western Athletic Conference defensive player of the Week honor of 2014 after two victories in the Nike/Aaron Olitsky Soccer Classic in Charleston, S.C. This is also Haworth’s first career nod.
• Eastern Washington senior punter Jake Miller and junior quarterback Vernon Adams Jr. have been selected by the Big Sky Conference as special teams and offensive players of the week.
This is Adams’ seventh career player of the week honor and the first for Miller.
The Eagles, ranked No. 2 in the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision polls this week, defeated Sam Houston State in their opener 56-35 on Aug. 23. Eastern followed that with a 41-9 romp past Montana Western on Saturday and play at Washington at noon Saturday at Husky Stadium.
Sports-information departments contributed to this report.