Sounders FC has been successful on and off the field in its first season.
Sounders FC has been a success story, both on and off the field, in its first season.
Sounders FC fans are recognized as the loudest and most involved supporters in MLS. They set a record for merchandise purchased in one MLS season, and create a tremendous atmosphere and home-field advantage at Qwest Field. By the numbers:
16 Consecutive MLS sellouts (plus 4 sellouts for cup-related matches).
- School board rebukes Bellevue football program; possible two-year ban for coach Butch Goncharoff
- This drone footage of inside Bertha’s tunnel is like something out of ‘Star Wars’
- Five veteran Seahawks whose roles could be most impacted by additions from the NFL draft
- Mayor, Chris Hansen denounce misogynistic comments over council arena vote
- Sport fishermen protesting in La Conner on Wednesday as tribal gill-net salmon fishery gets underway
Most Read Stories
22,000 Season-ticket holders.
30,943 Average attendance, an MLS record. This figure would have ranked among the top 50 clubs in the world for 2008-09.
35,807 Attendance for first leg of playoff series against Houston, an MLS record for a conference semifinal and No. 7 all-time in MLS playoff games, including finals.
65,372 Attendance at Qwest for friendly vs. Chelsea.
66,848 Attendance at Qwest for friendly vs. FC Barcelona.
• Sounders Web site, www.SoundersFC.com, is the most visited and active online community in MLS.
• The site is a supporters’ site with user-generated content including blogs, forums, photos and fan feedback.
• Sounders FC has more than 51,000 supporters on Facebook, more than nearly all other MLS clubs combined. Toronto FC is next highest with 11,000-plus.
• 2009 U.S. Open Cup champions.
• Best record and most goals scored by MLS expansion team since 1998.
• First expansion team to qualify for playoffs since 1998 (third total, joining Chicago and Miami, both 1998).
In the community
• Sounders FC set an MLS record by raising more than $23,000 for the “Nothing But Nets” program.
• More than 4,000 kids participated in Sounders youth soccer programs.
• Players, coaches and staff volunteered nearly 1,000 hours of service in Seattle area.
• Players, coaches and owners made more than 80 community appearances during the season.
• Sounders FC held votes for band and member association names and Golden Scarf recipient.
• Seattle is a possible site for U.S. bid for World Cup in 2018 and 2022.
• Sounders will host Philadelphia Union in the first MLS game of the 2010 season.
• Seattle will host the MLS Cup, the league championship, on Nov. 22.
José Miguel Romero
Source: Sounders FC