Mario Martinez will be the fourth Sounder away on international duty for the Jan. 21 start of training camp after being called up by Honduras on Tuesday.
Sounders FC midfielder Mario Martinez was called up by the Honduran national team Tuesday for CONCACAF Gold Cup qualifiers this month and a FIFA World Cup qualifier against the U.S. on Feb. 6.
Martinez, 23, has 22 international appearances and will be the fourth Sounder on national-team duty during the start of Seattle’s training camp Jan. 21, joining forward Eddie Johnson and midfielder Brad Evans (USA), and defender Adam Johansson (Sweden).
All four are expected to rejoin the Sounders in February.
Honduras will play in the Copa Centroamericana, a tournament in Costa Rica to qualify for the Gold Cup this summer, against El Salvador on Jan. 18 and Panama on Jan. 22. More games might be scheduled based on those results.
- Huskies upset USC 17-12 and beat Steve Sarkisian, their former coach
- Expect traffic delays when Obama visits Seattle Friday afternoon
- Win over USC puts UW’s coaching upgrade (Chris Petersen over Steve Sarkisian) on full display
- US airman who thwarted French train attack stabbed in brawl
- Even in death, 'Up' house owner Edith Macefield remains a mystery
Most Read Stories
The World Cup qualifier against the U.S. will be played in Martinez’ hometown of San Pedro Sula.
Montero exit close
Sounders FC forward Fredy Montero’s loan to Colombian club Millonarios appears close to completion.
Multiple reports from Colombia, including the league’s official Twitter feed and website, have indicated a one-year loan with an option to buy is a done deal. Such a move is expected to give the Sounders flexibility to sign another high-priced designated player in 2013.
Montero’s agent, Helmuth Wennin, told The Seattle Times in an email Saturday that the loan “should be worked out in the next few days.”
The Sounders had nothing to report as of Tuesday.
• Tickets for Sounders FC’s home leg in a CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal will go on sale Monday at 10 a.m. and are available by calling 800-745-3000 or through the team website. Seattle plays host to Mexico’s Tigres UANL on March 12 at CenturyLink Field. The first game in the two-leg, aggregate-goals series is March 6 in Monterrey, Mexico.
Joshua Mayers: 206-464-3184 or email@example.com. On Twitter @joshuamayers.