The Sounders cut five players from preseason training, but expect the arrival of at least four this week in Arizona.
Cloudless skies, 70-degree temperatures and natural grass fields weren’t all that was new to the Sounders in Casa Grande, Ariz.
With the second stage of preseason under way, the training camp roster is quite different from last week and stands to see more change in the next few days.
The Sounders revealed Tuesday that five nonroster players are no longer training with the team: MLS Supplemental Draft pick Abdul Aman, academy alumnus Darwin Jones, invitees Tyrel Lacey and Jonathan Prieto, and an unnamed Korean trialist.
Forward O’Brian White (leg) and defender/midfielder Michael Tetteh (hamstring) didn’t make the trip as they recover from injuries in Seattle. Forward Sammy Ochoa stayed behind to be with his wife, who is expecting to give birth soon to their second child.
- Turkey’s president, Putin hurl insults after plane downed
- Teen, one of 14 siblings, finally gets to be a kid
- Seattle sushi fans, rejoice: Shiro's new place is open
- 2015 Apple Cup might be the start of something big for UW, WSU
- UW fires women’s crew coach Bob Ernst
Most Read Stories
As for the additions, supplemental draft pick Wes Feighner, a defender from Cal Poly, joined the team Monday and Swedish right back Adam Johansson was expected in Tuesday after duty with his national team.
A pair of young Honduran defenders, Ever Alvarado and Harlinton Gutierres, should join training Wednesday and are believed to have 10-day tryouts. The Sounders might also try out other players before returning to Seattle on Tuesday.
The Sounders will play their first preseason training game Monday against rival Vancouver at 3 p.m. The game and the team’s morning practices at the Grande Sports World soccer complex are open to the public.
In a radio interview Tuesday night on 950 KJR AM, midfielder Brad Evans said the Sounders will play a friendly against a Mexican team in Cancun after 10 days of training in Bradenton, Fla.
A team spokesman said details on potential preseason friendlies are still being finalized and that an announcement is forthcoming. Atlante is the main Mexican team based in Cancun.
• Coach Sigi Schmid is on the National Soccer Hall of Fame ballot again as a Class of 2012 nominee in the “Builder” category. He’s been on the ballot the past couple years. According to a news release: “Builders are nominated by making their mark in the soccer community in a non-playing capacity while sustaining a major and positive impact on U.S. Soccer on a national or professional level for 10 years.”
Technical director Chris Henderson is on the ballot as a player.
• Aman is a Seattle native who played at the University of Washington as a senior. He will rejoin the North Sound SeaWolves FC of Snohomish County, according to the Twitter account of the Premier Development League team.
• Evans and invitee goalkeeper Andrew Weber are from nearby Phoenix.
• Other nonroster players still training with the team are MLS SuperDraft picks Andrew Duran and Babayele Sodade, supplemental draft picks Tim Pontius and Jason Banton, Andy Rose (acquired in a draft-day trade) and invitees Alex Caskey and Andrew Vanzie.
Joshua Mayers: 206-464-3184 or firstname.lastname@example.org. On Twitter @joshuamayers.