DeAndre Yedlin and Lamar Neagle will sit out Wednesday's game in Kansas City, along with Seattle's several injured players, after they received red cards on Saturday.

Share story

If Sounders FC’s rampant injury situation wasn’t crazy enough, add a couple of suspensions to the mix.

Yes, Seattle’s dire personnel issues worsened over the weekend heading into Wednesday’s road game against Sporting Kansas City. Forward Lamar Neagle and defender DeAndre Yedlin were ejected late in Saturday’s 2-2 tie at Philadelphia, meaning an automatic one-game suspension for both.

“I am not happy about us getting the two (red) cards,” coach Sigi Schmid said.

Neagle, a Federal Way native, was sent off along with Union defender Sheanon Williams for a particularly heated shoving match in the 84th minute. Schmid said he was confused by the decision from referee Jorge Gonzalez, and Williams said he thought he and Neagle deserved yellow cards, at worst.

This week, save 90% on digital access.

Yedlin was ejected later for a reckless slide tackle on Michael Farfan in the first minute of stoppage time. The 19-year-old was one of two Sounders to have played in each game this season.

Seattle has used 11 different starting lineups in 11 games.

“It is tough for us … but we have to figure it out quickly,” said midfielder Mauro Rosales. “Every guy in training needs to concentrate on stepping onto the field and trying to do the same as the other guys.”

The Sounders had actually come out of the bye week with injuries worse than before.

Forward Obafemi Martins (knee), midfielder Steve Zakuani (groin) and midfielder Shalrie Joseph (hamstring) each were out Saturday having played in Colorado two weeks before.

Also unavailable was midfielder Osvaldo Alonso, who stayed in Seattle over the weekend to be with his wife, Liang, who gave birth to their second child, Paulina, on Friday.

Though, in some positive news, indications Saturday were that Martins and Alonso would be ready to join the team in Kansas City this week (the Sounders flew straight there from Philadelphia instead of returning home).

Lucky break

The Sounders appeared fortunate a penalty kick wasn’t called against them in the final minute of stoppage time when defender Leo Gonzalez blocked a shot with his hand in the penalty box.

The referee waved to play on and blew the final whistle moments later.

Union coach John Hackworth fumed to reporters: “I’ll raise my hand and I’ll take the fine, but it has to be said: We cannot be in this league, have this level of play and have officiating be this bad.”

“Having watched some replays from the last 10 minutes, it absolutely blew my mind. Full credit to Seattle, they are a very good team, but that should not have ended in a draw. There’s a clear penalty at the end of the game and how it’s not called is beyond me.”

Custom-curated news highlights, delivered weekday mornings.