Sounders FC assistant coach Brian Schmetzer has interviewed for the head coaching job at FC Dallas, The Seattle Times has confirmed. The news was first reported by ESPNFC.com.
The position was recently vacated by Schellas Hyndman, who stepped down after this season following 5½ years with the team.
ESPN, citing sources, is reporting that former MLS great Guillermo Barros Schelotto is the preferred choice among the candidates but that there has been a disagreement over compensation. No firm deadline for a decision has been made public by FC Dallas, and Schmetzer is still believed to be in the running.
Schmetzer, a 51-year-old Seattle native, has a longstanding relationship with FC Dallas technical director Fernando Clavijo, dating to 1984. The two were teammates on two professional indoor teams and Schmetzer also got one of his first coaching jobs under Clavijo with the Seattle SeaDogs in 1996.
- Update: Seahawks' Jimmy Graham suffers right knee injury vs. Steelers, will miss rest of season
- Suspected burglar dies after getting stuck in chimney
- On his birthday, Russell Wilson gives Seattle Seahawks perhaps his greatest game to beat Pittsburgh Steelers
- Grading the game: Seattle Seahawks’ offense earns perfect mark against Pittsburgh Steelers
- Pedestrian struck on I-5 dies
Most Read Stories
Sounders FC coach Sigi Schmid and general manager Adrian Hanauer have both expressed faith that Schmetzer is ready for the next step.
Dempsey expects loan resolution
Clint Dempsey said in a TV interview with ESPN that he is still waiting to hear about a potential offseason loan, something written into his contract with the Sounders for the chance to stay active before next summer’s World Cup.
Dempsey, who is captain of the U.S. men’s national team, added that he expects resolution either way within the next week.
• Leo Gonzalez has been named Sounders FC’s Defender of the Year. The team went 1-3-3 without the veteran left-back, averaging about twice as many goals allowed compared to when he played.
Joshua Mayers: 206-464-3184 or firstname.lastname@example.org