Reign FC made six picks in Thursday's supplemental draft, but there are questions whether some draftees will play in the NWSL this season.
Reign FC selected six players in Thursday’s NWSL supplemental draft: defender Nikki Krzysik, defender Lauren Barnes, forward Laura Heyboer, forward Liz Bogus, goalkeeper Michelle Betos and defender Kaley Fountain.
Fountain, however, has already made it known she will not be playing in the NWSL this season, and Krzysik is weighing her options, as well.
Teams had submitted a list of players who would be draft-eligible, but the future plans of all of them had not been settled, which led to some uncertainty on draft day.
Reign FC starts its preseason in mid-March and the regular season starts in mid-April. The schedule has not been released yet.
- More pet-food recalls linked to potential salmonella contamination
- Seattle company copes with backlash on $70,000 minimum wage
- Man drowns in Lake Washington after hopping off boat
- Impressions from day 3 of Seahawks training camp --- Christine Michael, the center position, Tyler Lockett, and more
- After signing $43 million contract, Bobby Wagner admits he didn’t expect Seattle to draft him
Most Read Stories
Elsewhere, Portland Thorns FC selected defender Tina Ellertson, a University of Washington product, in the first round, but she also has said she won’t be playing this year. Three teams passed on making picks in the sixth and final round Thursday.
Reign FC may now place discovery claims on up to four unsigned players to secure their rights going into preseason camp.
A few reports leaguewide have speculated Seattle could be close to trading for midfielder Veronica Perez, a Mexican international allocated to the Western New York Flash, but Reign FC has labeled those as rumors. Perez, another UW product, was the leading scorer for the star-studded Sounders Women last season.
• Jon Billings has been promoted to executive director of the Sounders Women and Sounders FC U-23.
Joshua Mayers: 206-464-3184 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
On Twitter @joshuamayers