SANTA CLARA, Calif. — Chris Wondolowski scored his 10th goal of the season and the San Jose Earthquakes made it stand for a 1-0 victory against the Colorado Rapids on Wednesday night.
The win moved sixth-place San Jose (13-11-8) within a point of both Colorado (13-10-9) and the L.A. Galaxy (14-11-6), who hold the last two playoff spots in the West.
Colorado kept Wondolowski off the scoreboard with multiple saves before the reigning league MVP broke through in the 69th minute, snapping a powerful header from a Shea Salinas corner kick that left Rapids goalkeeper Clint Irwin flat-footed.
- Seattle police officer faces firing over arrest of man carrying a golf club
- Mariners’ triple play hadn’t been seen since 1955
- 5 things you should know about Microsoft’s Windows 10
- True-crime author Ann Rule dies at age 83
- Before getting the ax, Steve Sandmeyer show was scraping by
Most Read Stories
Sporting K.C. 0, at Dynamo 0
Jimmy Nielsen had five saves for K.C., while Houston’s Tally Hall had one stop and Sporting Kansas City and the Dynamo played to a scoreless tie.
The draw extended Houston’s unbeaten streak to five games, but the Dynamo (13-10-9, 48 points) was unable to close the gap on K.C. (15-10-7, 52 points).