SANTA CLARA, Calif. — Chris Wondolowski scored his 10th goal of the season and the San Jose Earthquakes made it stand for a 1-0 victory against the Colorado Rapids on Wednesday night.
The win moved sixth-place San Jose (13-11-8) within a point of both Colorado (13-10-9) and the L.A. Galaxy (14-11-6), who hold the last two playoff spots in the West.
Colorado kept Wondolowski off the scoreboard with multiple saves before the reigning league MVP broke through in the 69th minute, snapping a powerful header from a Shea Salinas corner kick that left Rapids goalkeeper Clint Irwin flat-footed.
- Unusual motel sting casts wide net on illicit activity
- Costco will buy most farmed salmon from Norway, not Chile
- Italian court throws out Knox conviction once and for all
- Priced out? Growing numbers appear to be fleeing King County
- 5 Seahawks takeaways from the NFL League Meetings
Most Read Stories
Sporting K.C. 0, at Dynamo 0
Jimmy Nielsen had five saves for K.C., while Houston’s Tally Hall had one stop and Sporting Kansas City and the Dynamo played to a scoreless tie.
The draw extended Houston’s unbeaten streak to five games, but the Dynamo (13-10-9, 48 points) was unable to close the gap on K.C. (15-10-7, 52 points).