The Portland Thorns FC defeated the Seattle Reign FC 1-0 on Saturday night in a National Women's Soccer League game at Starfire Stadium...
TUKWILA — The Portland Thorns FC defeated the Seattle Reign FC 1-0 on Saturday night in a National Women’s Soccer League game at Starfire Stadium.
Reign FC goalkeeper Hope Solo made her NWSL debut before 3,324 fans, but was unable to stop a penalty shot by Thorns FC forward Christine Sinclair in the 83rd minute.
Solo made two saves for the Reign (0-7-1).
The Reign’s best chance came in the 62nd minute, but forward Liz Bogus’ diving header was blocked by Portland (6-1-1) goalkeeper Karina LeBlanc, who finished with five saves.
- Amid drought, Rattlesnake Lake reveals its roots
- Probe of 777 engine’s explosive failure pinpoints its origin
- Lloyd McClendon’s status is at the top of the new Mariners GM’s list
- Seattle-area teen loved football, says grieving father
- US airman who thwarted French train attack stabbed
Most Read Stories
Seattle, which lost its seventh straight, was without three of its defenders, as Kate Deines and Elli Reed both were out with injuries and Jenny Ruiz was serving a one-game suspension after receiving a red card last week.