The Portland Thorns FC defeated the Seattle Reign FC 1-0 on Saturday night in a National Women's Soccer League game at Starfire Stadium...
TUKWILA — The Portland Thorns FC defeated the Seattle Reign FC 1-0 on Saturday night in a National Women’s Soccer League game at Starfire Stadium.
Reign FC goalkeeper Hope Solo made her NWSL debut before 3,324 fans, but was unable to stop a penalty shot by Thorns FC forward Christine Sinclair in the 83rd minute.
Solo made two saves for the Reign (0-7-1).
The Reign’s best chance came in the 62nd minute, but forward Liz Bogus’ diving header was blocked by Portland (6-1-1) goalkeeper Karina LeBlanc, who finished with five saves.
- WWU cancels classes as social-media hate speech is investigated
- Luke Falk likely has concussion but doing ‘real well’
- What national media are saying about Thomas Rawls, Seattle’s playoff hopes
- Seahawks’ Cary Williams makes no excuses after being benched
- Seahawks as much as 5.5-point favorite over Pittsburgh Steelers
Most Read Stories
Seattle, which lost its seventh straight, was without three of its defenders, as Kate Deines and Elli Reed both were out with injuries and Jenny Ruiz was serving a one-game suspension after receiving a red card last week.