Panamanian international Roberto Chen has joined the Seattle Sounders' preseason camp in Tucson, Ariz., the club confirmed on its website, and the 21-year-old center back practiced with the team for the first time on Monday.
Panamanian international Roberto Chen has joined the Seattle Sounders’ preseason camp in Tucson, Ariz., the club confirmed on its website, and the 21-year-old center back practiced with the team for the first time on Monday.
Though Sounders coach Sigi Schmid said that no deal has been completed, Seattle is in the market for depth at center back while Chen’s Panama teammate Roman Torres continues to recover from his knee injury. Chen recently cut ties with Malaga of the Spanish La Liga, having struggled for minutes in Andalusia and gone on loan twice.
Chen also worked out for the Sounders in 2013 prior to a breakout performance at that summer’s Gold Cup.
“Were happy to have Roberto here,” Schmid said on the team site. “He’s a player that we’ve had our eye on for a while, and we almost had something – he ended up at Malaga, which was a great opportunity for him there – and now we have maybe another chance for him. We’ll see how he does this week and then make a decision.”
Most Read Stories
- Calling their bluff: A Seattle doctor pegs what the GOP health bill is really about | Danny Westneat
- Investigators’ task to find out why U.S. destroyer failed to dodge cargo ship
- Police investigate officer who shot Charleena Lyles after he left Taser in locker
- Mike Hopkins beats out former team to secure Hameir Wright for UW men's basketball
- Kent police fatally shoot man after car chase
Seattle plays its first preseason game on Wednesday afternoon in Tucson, taking on the Vancouver Whitecaps. The friendly will be streamed live on the club’s website.